cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents and videos on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents and videos on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
RadekMar
3 2 0 0
Message 1 of 3
Flag Post

Cannot use 2TB NVMe on Z620

HP Recommended
HP Z620

Hi,

I have Z620 station. Currently, I have 2x 1TB NVMe fully operational (NOT BOOTABLE, just super-fast storage) - tested on Windows 10 and Ubuntu 20.04.

I have purchased 2x P5 2TB NVMe as an upgrade and it does not work - Win 10 crashes without loading, when running Ubuntu or windows installer from USB  the system crashes when the installer is at the stage of the disk detection. 

Ubuntu can see disks and recognizes the size and model, lists them in the DISK app, but when I'm trying to format them it crashes the system.

I'm on BIOS v03.96. 

Any suggestions?

Edited:

I was thinking of two things I can try. As P5 2TB NVMe does work on my other win 7 PC. I will try to format it on win 7 and connect it to Z620 running Ubuntu. The other option is to downgrade Z620 to Win 7 and try if it will work.

Tags (1)
2 REPLIES 2
RadekMar
Author
3 2 0 0
Message 2 of 3
Flag Post
HP Recommended

So, if the 2TB NVMe is formatted then I can mount it in Ubuntu. It crashed the system at the end of the disk benchmark but otherwise operates as a standard drive.

I forgot to add info that might be very important - after the system crash in Ubuntu the computer starts with the following error code in BIOS (prompts to press F1 to boot):

928-Fatal PCIe error.

PCIe error detected Slot 5

Malformed TLP

I've tried several different settings in BIOS for that slot and couldn't resolve it.

I have also encountered another problem that might be Ubuntu related - when NVMe speed is tested in Disk Benchmark it's extremely fast (3+Gb/s read, 2+Gb/s write), but when I'm copying files between NVMe's the speed is very slow - 60-70MB/s

Windows 10 installer still freezes, I'm now downloading Windows 2019 and Windows 7 isos and will run additional tests.

Was this reply helpful? Yes No
RadekMar
Author
3 2 0 0
Message 3 of 3
Flag Post
HP Recommended

So much frustration!!!

What does not work:

1. Win 2019 behaviour the same as Win 10

2. Win 7 OK initially up to the point when I've installed driver for NVMe support - 1TB drive recognized, but 2TB crashes the system

What did kind of worked - Ubuntu 20.04:

1. 2TB drive formated under Win 7 machine - mounted on Ubuntu - is very slow!!! 60-70MB/s, but Disk Benchmark shows Reads at over 3GB/s, Writes over 2GB/s

2. I have altered mounting options added big_writes and async - improved file copy speeds to 250MS/s

3. I have changed the partition from NTFS to EXT4 - the speeds are between 650-850MB/s 

NVMe is in the correct slot and I've tried different BIOS setting for SLOT speed - I've left at AUTO.

I do not understand why Disk Benchmark shows the figure much higher than the real file copy speeds (tried on large files - approx 20-25GB ).

Any other suggestions are welcome!

Was this reply helpful? Yes No
Warning Be alert for scammers posting fake support phone numbers and/or email addresses on the community. If you think you have received a fake HP Support message, please report it to us by clicking on "Flag Post".
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation