Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Any failures related to Hotkey UWP service? Click here for tips.
HP Recommended
Pavilion 560-p015hvr
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

My case fan (located at bottom rear of case) is making a repeating low volume but high pitched "woo woo" sound that is quite annoying and I was wondering if anyone with techincal expertise on these systems might be able to tell me if this is only an issue with the fan or with the motherboard itself.  

When the case fan is unplugged, I don't hear this noise anymore.  I also tested two other case fans, one (a Cooler Master) also makes this noise, while the second fan (generic brand) doesn't.  However, I can also hear each fan speeding up and down constantly when plugged in.  Not sure if that speeding up and down has anything to do with the "woo woo" sound.  The sound occurs as long as the system is on.  As noted, it's pretty quiet, but when my room is quiet, it's gets very irritating.

My question is: is this an issue with the motherboard's voltage regulation, or do I need to just get a different fan that works with the voltage regulator better and doesn't make these noises?  If it's a motherboard issue, then I would consider taking it in for warranty repair; however, as the turnaround time for repair is long, I'd rather not do that if it's just an issue with the fan.

My system's specs: https://support.hp.com/ph-en/document/c05325469

I have the latest BIOS installed as of July 2017.

Thanks!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Hi @motif,

Good Day. Thanks for visiting the HP community. I reviewed the post regarding issues with the fan making a loud noise. Commendable diagnosis, superb troubleshooting and splendid description of the issue before posting. Hats off to you on that score. 🙂

For better clarity and to assist you better I would require more information regarding this:

Does the computer overheat, lock up, freeze or shut down randomly?

For a start please perform these steps:

• It does not look like a motherboard issue as the generic fan does not make any noise.
  • Please run complete hardware diagnostics on the computer from this link: http://hp.care/2ueK8yq to ensure that the hardware is fully functional.
  • Please run the extensive tests that take about 2 or more hours to run.
  • If any component fails, it will display a failure code. Please make a note of it and contact Hp phone support to get the computer serviced.

HP Technical Support can be reached by clicking on the following link: http://hp.care/2r9wSvP

• Once the support page opens please select the country in which you're located. Next, enter your HP model number on the right.
  • Next, choose the 'Contact Support' tab at the top and scroll down to the bottom of the 'HP Support- Contact' page to fill out the form provided with your contact information.
  • Once completed click the 'Show Options' icon on the bottom right.
  • Lastly, scroll down to the bottom of the page and select 'Get phone number.' A case number and phone number will now populate for you.

They will be happy to assist you immediately. If the unit is under warranty repair services is taken care of by the manufacturer’s warranty

If the diagnostics pass, then there is more to it than meets the eye. The fan still needs to be replaced if the noise is very loud by contacting phone support from the same link.Or you could contact a local technician such as Staples or Best Buy and replace the fan with a compatible one for your computer. This should correct the issue.

Please perform all these steps patiently as it is critical to resolving the issue. The trick is to remain patient, Going by your technical expertise and competence I am sure you will be able to perform these steps without breaking a sweat. 🙂

Hope this helps. Let me know how it goes.

To simply say thanks, please click the "Thumbs Up" button to give me a Kudos to appreciate my efforts to help. If this helps, please mark this as Accepted Solution as it will help several others with the same issue to get it resolved without hassles.

Take care and have a blessed week ahead. 🙂

Cheers!

DavidSMP
I am an HP Employee

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
HP Recommended

Hi @motif,

Good Day. Thanks for visiting the HP community. I reviewed the post regarding issues with the fan making a loud noise. Commendable diagnosis, superb troubleshooting and splendid description of the issue before posting. Hats off to you on that score. 🙂

For better clarity and to assist you better I would require more information regarding this:

Does the computer overheat, lock up, freeze or shut down randomly?

For a start please perform these steps:

• It does not look like a motherboard issue as the generic fan does not make any noise.
  • Please run complete hardware diagnostics on the computer from this link: http://hp.care/2ueK8yq to ensure that the hardware is fully functional.
  • Please run the extensive tests that take about 2 or more hours to run.
  • If any component fails, it will display a failure code. Please make a note of it and contact Hp phone support to get the computer serviced.

HP Technical Support can be reached by clicking on the following link: http://hp.care/2r9wSvP

• Once the support page opens please select the country in which you're located. Next, enter your HP model number on the right.
  • Next, choose the 'Contact Support' tab at the top and scroll down to the bottom of the 'HP Support- Contact' page to fill out the form provided with your contact information.
  • Once completed click the 'Show Options' icon on the bottom right.
  • Lastly, scroll down to the bottom of the page and select 'Get phone number.' A case number and phone number will now populate for you.

They will be happy to assist you immediately. If the unit is under warranty repair services is taken care of by the manufacturer’s warranty

If the diagnostics pass, then there is more to it than meets the eye. The fan still needs to be replaced if the noise is very loud by contacting phone support from the same link.Or you could contact a local technician such as Staples or Best Buy and replace the fan with a compatible one for your computer. This should correct the issue.

Please perform all these steps patiently as it is critical to resolving the issue. The trick is to remain patient, Going by your technical expertise and competence I am sure you will be able to perform these steps without breaking a sweat. 🙂

Hope this helps. Let me know how it goes.

To simply say thanks, please click the "Thumbs Up" button to give me a Kudos to appreciate my efforts to help. If this helps, please mark this as Accepted Solution as it will help several others with the same issue to get it resolved without hassles.

Take care and have a blessed week ahead. 🙂

Cheers!

DavidSMP
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

I replaced the fan with one I purchased (the ones I tested with were of the wrong size) and this one doesn't make any sounds either.  It appears the problem is solved.  Thanks!  I ran the diagonstics and didn't find any errors.

HP Recommended

Hi @motif,

It has been a fabulous experience working with you. 🙂 I thank you greatly for accepting this as a solution. 🙂 You've been simply amazing with your technical expertise and thanks again for giving me the privilege to share this platform with you. 🙂

I hope the unit works great and stays healthy for a long time. 🙂

To simply say thanks, please click the "Thumbs Up" button to give me a Kudos to appreciate my efforts to help.

DavidSMP
I am an HP Employee

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.