Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended
HP Model 690-0067c
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Should I do a clean install or just clone it.

Considering the programs below to clone my existing HD to my new Samsung SSD. Any one of these that would be best or does anyone know of something better.
I'm considering these programs to clone my existing HD to my new Samsung SSD. Any one that would be best or do you know of something better.
https://www.easeus.com/partition-master/clone-larger-hd...
https://www.windowscentral.com/how-clone-your-pcs-hard-...
https://www.backup-utility.com/clone/clone-large-hdd-to...                                                                                                                                                                                                                        

This is a new HP Desktop so the HD doesn't have much on it The new SSD is a Samsung 970 EVO NVMeM.2, 500GB. The space occupied on the current 1TB HD just has Win10 + MSN Office & the HP stuff installed at the factory for a total of 75GB. So really not much to transfer to the new PC SSD.  I'm going to use a disc from Microsoft that I made after upgrading from Win7 to Win10 on my old PC. I made the disc as my thought was it is better to do a clean install rather than an upgrade to an old PC. So If a clean install would be best I can use that disc & the SN from the HP.  Now does that bloat ware on a HP really make it that much better then a clean install which would have only just the programs that I install?   After I took a look at "Computer" and "CP" to see what the new PC had in it that was installed by HP.  Is there any program by HP in there that I really would need to make the PC run smoothly since the only thing that would be in the case is the HP Motherboard, everything seems to be made my AMD or someone else except the MB.

HP Pavilion 690-0067c Gaming Desktop PC
HP 27XW Monitor
HP Pavilion dv6t 3000 Select Edition Entertainment PC
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Just an FYI - Samsung offers a cloning software specifically for their SSD drives to clone from the existing hard drive to a new SSD

https://www.samsung.com/us/support/owners/product/970-evo-nvme-m2

Click on the "See More" tab and there is software and manuals for that specific task.  Others have posted about SSD's not being recognized in the BIOS as a source for some other disk cloning softwares or the Windows installers.

I would suggest installing the SSD and then check the BIOS to see if it is recognized before doing anything else.  Then if it shows in there you can either do a clean install with the Windows media or clone, whichever you wish.  If everything is good on the present install, I would just clone.

I'm not an HP employee.
Did this message answer your question? Please indicate below as an Accepted Solution!
Did you find this message useful? Click on the "Was this reply helpful" Yes button.

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
HP Recommended

Just an FYI - Samsung offers a cloning software specifically for their SSD drives to clone from the existing hard drive to a new SSD

https://www.samsung.com/us/support/owners/product/970-evo-nvme-m2

Click on the "See More" tab and there is software and manuals for that specific task.  Others have posted about SSD's not being recognized in the BIOS as a source for some other disk cloning softwares or the Windows installers.

I would suggest installing the SSD and then check the BIOS to see if it is recognized before doing anything else.  Then if it shows in there you can either do a clean install with the Windows media or clone, whichever you wish.  If everything is good on the present install, I would just clone.

I'm not an HP employee.
Did this message answer your question? Please indicate below as an Accepted Solution!
Did you find this message useful? Click on the "Was this reply helpful" Yes button.
HP Recommended

I did get it installed OK,  finally,  my persistence did it.  The cloning went well but after starting up again I got a big error & couldnt go anywhere, no Mouse etc.  Samsung , Costco Concierge or HP where not any help with any viable solutions. 

So I connected the original HDD up again and I could get into the PC & after digging I found I was looking at my new SSD.  So I checked a few things wasting about 2 or 3 hours talking to the 3 above so then rather than trying to clone again as suggested since I could see my new SSD with the 47GB used out of 500GB. I could see Win10 and all the files etc so I felt it was a good clone. 

I just shut it down and disconnected the original HDD again then started it up again.  I went back into computer manager & I see only my Samsung SSD.  So all is well now.     TheoldMan, Thanks for your advice.  

HP Pavilion 690-0067c Gaming Desktop PC
HP 27XW Monitor
HP Pavilion dv6t 3000 Select Edition Entertainment PC
HP Recommended

Glad to hear it is completed.  For some reason, many  users seem to be having problems when trying to add an SSD to the systems.  I do not know the reason behind that, however.  But glad you got it done.

I'm not an HP employee.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.