Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended
Compaq 6000 Pro
Microsoft Windows 10 (32-bit)

I'm upgrading the memory in this machine to 8GB (2 x 4 GB DIMMs), but every time I put the new memory in, I get 5 beeps. I put the old memory in, and it starts no problem. The new memory is Kingston KVR13N9S8K2/8 - verified as unbuffered, non-ECC RAM.

Here is what I have done so far.

• Installed DIMMs in all possible combinations (single and in combination, different slots, etc.) starting with slots 1&3
  • Verified multiple times that the memory is seated properly
  • Tested the memory in another machine and it works fine
  • Checked the memory specs against hardware specs and upgrade guidelines. The memory I purchased meets every requirement
  • Upgraded the BIOS to the latest version and retried all of the above again.

I can't get the system to do anything other than beep at me with the new memory installed.

Please help. This is not my first time upgrading a PC, and I've never had a problem like this before. Any ideas?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Hi:

That PC is very hard to find memory that works--regardless if what you bought meets the specs.

This is what I used that worked...

https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820220480

This issue is prevalent on the 6000 Pro, 8000 Elite (an upscale 6000 pro), and the 8100 Elite model series.

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
HP Recommended

Hi:

That PC is very hard to find memory that works--regardless if what you bought meets the specs.

This is what I used that worked...

https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820220480

This issue is prevalent on the 6000 Pro, 8000 Elite (an upscale 6000 pro), and the 8100 Elite model series.

HP Recommended

Hi there jzinko Welcome to your forum!: even if you solve the the riddle of the 5 beeps you're ultimately wasting your money going to 8GB because 32bit windows is limited to between 3-4GB due to its DOS foundation of devoting chunks of its memory to run various devices attached to your PC.

you would do better to acquire a 64 bit computer then the memory.

hope this enlighens as well as behoove you

if there's anything else on your mind please beseech us anew

we're here for you 24/7/365.25

kingtopcat

HP Recommended

Well this is disappointing. I work for a small not-for-profit, so there's no budget money to upgrade the whole system.

I was just hoping to speed my machine up so that running a couple of applications wouldn't max out the memory.

I am surprised that HP would make a machine that is so difficult to upgrade - especially the part that most people upgrade.

Thanks for your answers everyone.

HP Recommended

You're very welcome.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.