Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Any failures related to Hotkey UWP service? Click here for tips.
HP Recommended
HP8000
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

I have two processor chips here. The one currently in the HP 8000 PC is an Intel Core2 Duo E8500 @ 3.16 GHz chip. I also have an Intel Core i5-3470 SR0T8 3.20 GHZ from a HP 8300. Which is faster? I just want to know if it is worth replacing the one in the PC with the i5 chip, or even if it is possible for the motherboard to accept this chip.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Hi:

The i5 processor will not work in the 8000 Elite.

Below is the link to the HP 8000 Elite model series quickspecs.

https://www.bargainhardware.co.uk/content/specifications/Elite8000_datasheet.PDF

The supported processors can be found on pages 7 & 8.

View solution in original post

10 REPLIES 10
HP Recommended

Hi:

The i5 processor will not work in the 8000 Elite.

Below is the link to the HP 8000 Elite model series quickspecs.

https://www.bargainhardware.co.uk/content/specifications/Elite8000_datasheet.PDF

The supported processors can be found on pages 7 & 8.

HP Recommended

Thank you, Paul. You saved me the time and hassle.  One more question.

Is the stock 8300 *noticeably* faster than the stock 8000

I don't do any heavy computations but I do edit home videos where I see horsepower is important.

HP Recommended

You're very welcome.

If you are doing video editing, you can beef up your 8000 Elite's graphics adapter if it only has the onboard Intel graphics.

That is going to do more for you than upgrading the processor.

You'd have to get a used but tested and working video card, since your PC is very old.

If you have the CMT form factor, the AMD Radeon HD 6570 will work very well because that is what I have in my 8000 Elite CMT.

If you have the SFF then you would have to settle for the AMD Radeon HD 6450 low profile graphics card, which is still better than the onboard Intel graphics.

Comparing the 8300 Elite with the 8000 Elite, the 8300 Elite will be faster due to the better processor and faster memory.

HP Recommended

Thank you, Paul. A lot of things I didn't know. I am going to consider your suggestions, for sure.

HP Recommended

Anytime.

Glad to have been of assistance.

HP Recommended

An obvious thought struck me. Is it possible to place an 8300 motherboard in an 8000 chassis?

HP Recommended

It may be possible if they are the same form factor (CMT>CMT, or SFF to SFF).

It they are not, it wouldn't be possible.

HP Recommended

Yea, they are both SFF. Awesome. Thanks, Paul.

HP Recommended

Anytime.

Glad to have been of assistance.

You can install the Nvidia GT 710 low profile graphics card in the 8300 Elite SFF motherboard.

That would be better/newer than the AMD Radeon HD 6450.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.