Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended
705 G1 SFF
Microsoft Windows 7 (64-bit)

Hello. I have a few questions about compatible parts for the Elitedesk 705 G1 SFF, the first is about the hard drive, there are extra 2.5" and 3.5" slots available, what parts are compatible with them? Especially for the 2.5" slot.

The second is about the PCI E slots two (2) of them are PCI E X1, what kind of video cards can fit into them and can I run a card in each of the four available slots simultaneously?

The third question is about the PS/2 keyboard and mouse compatiblity, can I use any kind I wish? Because I want to have all of my USB slots available. Thanks.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

P/S keyboards and mice are not specific to models. It is an interface that dates back to 2000.

Just what are you looking at that you think is incompatible?  You could actually pick up a mouse or keyboard at a swap meet and it will work.

As far as anything will work when considering SSD products, that is not so. For your motherboard, you need SSD types that use TLC flash memory.

I am a volunteer forum member, not an HP employee. If my suggestion solved your issue, don't forget to mark that post as the accepted solution. If you want to say thanks, click on the Yes button next to the "was this reply helpful?"

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
HP Recommended

@ogeeskeemask wrote:

Hello. I have a few questions about compatible parts for the Elitedesk 705 G1 SFF, the first is about the hard drive, there are extra 2.5" and 3.5" slots available, what parts are compatible with them? Especially for the 2.5" slot.

The second is about the PCI E slots two (2) of them are PCI E X1, what kind of video cards can fit into them and can I run a card in each of the four available slots simultaneously?

The third question is about the PS/2 keyboard and mouse compatiblity, can I use any kind I wish? Because I want to have all of my USB slots available. Thanks.

Most of your questions are covered in the HP Quickspecs document.

Take a look at the standard features and the configurable component section for 2.5" hard disk compatibility information.  You may need to purchase a 3.5" adapter for use w/ 2.5" drives.

See page 14 for information about the max Wattage cards can have if installed in the PCIe slots.

Putting video cards in the PCIe x1 slots is not really viable because of the low bandwidth and low capacity VRam 512-1GB). That stinks for gaming. They are usually used for adding interfaces such as firewire and adding ports (usb, serial, sata raid etc.) (PCIE x1 cards)

Yes, you can use PS/2 mouse and keyboards. I don't know what you mean by "any type".  PS/2 is just an old school interface.

I am a volunteer forum member, not an HP employee. If my suggestion solved your issue, don't forget to mark that post as the accepted solution. If you want to say thanks, click on the Yes button next to the "was this reply helpful?"

HP Recommended

What I meant was the PS/2 parts that I've seen all have part numbers as if they're specific to a certain model, I didn't want to end up with anything incompatible, as far as the link it's helpful but only as far as the PCI E slots, if I just take the dimensions that are displayed for the hdd specs (and the latter) then all that I am reading is anything that can match them will work, I was hoping for something more along the lines of part numbers, like I said, I don't want to end up with the wrong parts because, again, just reading the spec sheets makes it seem like anything that matches the described feature will work.

HP Recommended

P/S keyboards and mice are not specific to models. It is an interface that dates back to 2000.

Just what are you looking at that you think is incompatible?  You could actually pick up a mouse or keyboard at a swap meet and it will work.

As far as anything will work when considering SSD products, that is not so. For your motherboard, you need SSD types that use TLC flash memory.

HP Recommended

I've already gone ahead for the mouse and keyboard, they're HP models, I had seen a combo pair that had the OS that they were compatible with before I threw up my guard, as for the ssd's might I ask how one might distinguish a unit that uses TLC flash memory? 

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.