Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended
Compaq Presario
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

I have an old Compaq computer, potato pc so to say. I was upgrading it to bring it up to spec and I bought a pair of matching RAM sticks to increase the ram size and quality. The old ram was one stick of 2 GB, the new rams were also of 2 GB but they were a bit faster as I remember. When I went in and installed both the sticks and booted up the computer, it started beeping. I thought that the ram was faulty so I put the old one back in. After few more tests I saw that if the original ram was Inserted it worked fine, even if I installed one new one it worked, but, if both new ram sticks were installed together the computer started beeping. I tested it more and either ram works alone with old ram stick but both of them do not work together. Is this a software problem?

10 REPLIES 10
HP Recommended

Hello
in order to try to provide an answer we would need more information
The exact model of the computer, and if possible the motherboard

HP Desktop PCs - How Do I Find My Model Number or Product Number? | HP® Customer Support

What exactly is installed as a memory module
And the new modules, exact references
Is the whole memory recognized when you place an old module with a new one?
The behavior is quite strange here ..

--------------------------------------------- Signature ---------------------------------------------
was this reply helpful , or just say thank you ? Click on the yes button

Please remember to mark the answers this can help other users
please click on the accept as solution button if message provided an answer to the problem

Desktop-Knowledge-Base
Windows 11 22h2 inside , user

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
HP Recommended

The specs are int these pics

To clarify further the ram is ddr2 dimm of simmtronics 2gb.

Re: for further details if needed

Screenshot (228).pngScreenshot (229).png

HP Recommended

@Prométhée,

Based on his reply, it is an HP Compaq CQ3071IN as specified here.   Here are the required RAM specs.

I will leave this to your explanation.

This system is feedback driven thru Solution and Kudo flags. It's the only means of knowing if you have been served. Please click Accept as Solution, if your problem is solved. To say THANK YOU, press the "thumbs up symbol" to render a KUDO. You can render both Solution and KUDO..

HP Envy 8 5010 Tablet
(2) HP DV7t i7 3160QM 2.3Ghz 8GB
Printer -- HP OfficeJet Pro 8620 Legal
Custom Asus Z97D, I7-4790k, 16GB RAM, WIN10 Pro 64bit, ZOTAC GTX1080 AMP Extreme 3 fan 8GB RAM, 500GB SSD, Asus PB287 4k monitor, Rosewill Blackhawk case and 750W OCZ PSU.
HP Recommended

thank you @wb2001 
the second link is broken

https://www.crucial.com/compatible-upgrade-for/hp---compaq/presario-cq3071in

you do not give the references of the modules purchased
here is what is mentioned in the link:

DDR2 PC2-6400 • CL=6 • Unbuffered • NON-ECC • DDR2-800 • 1.8V • 256Meg x 64 •

If it matches what you have, then it remains a mystery to me
try to find the name of the motherboard, which is in this form for example:
MS-7525 (Boston) motherboard

--------------------------------------------- Signature ---------------------------------------------

please click on the accept as solution button if message provided an answer to the problem

Desktop-Knowledge-Base

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
HP Recommended

I don't understand what you all want or are telling me. I do think that the mentioned motherboard is the one I have. Please explicitly state what should  tell you.

HP Recommended

" I was upgrading it to bring it up to spec and I bought a pair of matching RAM sticks to increase the ram size and quality"

give the exact references, like for example what is mentioned in the link:

DDR2 PC2-6400 • CL=6 • Unbuffered • NON-ECC • DDR2-800 • 1.8V • 256Meg x 64 •

and if possible the reference of the original one

it is difficult to find the motherboard of this model
it is possible that this is what I found, since we see Boston, in your image!
But we should check what is written on the motherboard for example!

Desktop-Knowledge-Base

HP Recommended

@Antimatter_tss,

The reason it it beeping is that the ram your trying to use is not specified to work with that computer.

The maximum RAM is TWO 2GB modules, as specified here.

DDR2 PC2-6400 • CL=6 • Unbuffered • NON-ECC • DDR2-800 • 1.8V • 256Meg x 64

This system is feedback driven thru Solution and Kudo flags. It's the only means of knowing if you have been served. Please click Accept as Solution, if your problem is solved. To say THANK YOU, press the "thumbs up symbol" to render a KUDO. You can render both Solution and KUDO..

HP Envy 8 5010 Tablet
(2) HP DV7t i7 3160QM 2.3Ghz 8GB
Printer -- HP OfficeJet Pro 8620 Legal
Custom Asus Z97D, I7-4790k, 16GB RAM, WIN10 Pro 64bit, ZOTAC GTX1080 AMP Extreme 3 fan 8GB RAM, 500GB SSD, Asus PB287 4k monitor, Rosewill Blackhawk case and 750W OCZ PSU.
HP Recommended

I only have 2 slots and am installing 2 modules no more than that. The problem is not the size of ram the problem is that the computer starts beeping if the original ram is taken out.

HP Recommended

If you don't try to answer my questions, we can't go any further.
at this point, all that we can deduce is that there is a problem with the new modules
unless, I don't know if it has been tested:
test the original module in the two memory locations
If it works no problem logically with the two memory slots
If the two new modules do not work one by one on each slot, very certainly incompatibles

Desktop-Knowledge-Base

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.