Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended
HP Pavilion Power 580-137c
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Last time I was in the market, there was only one type of monitor cable. TIL things are different now. 

I purchased HP Pavilion Power 580-137c (https://support.hp.com/si-en/document/c05686933), which has no VGA port. I also purchased a monitor... which has no DVI port. Oops. Now re-reading the computer specs and it says 

"

• DisplayPort resolution: 5120 x 2880 @ 60Hz
  • HDMI resolution: 4096 x 2160 @ 60Hz

NOTE:

Not all ports support the highest resolutions."

Now I'm guessing "DisplayPort" corresponds to the VGA port. Both the computer and the monitor have an HDMI port, so obviously getting an HDMI cable is one option, but that will negatively impact my resolution? How much of a difference will that make for a 32" screen?

I've sifted through some other alternatives like DVI/VGA adapter cables, but people provide contradictory advice in terms of cost and efficacy. So what are the best options available to me now?
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Hi:

IMO, your best option is to get a HDMI cable, if the monitor and PC both have HDMI inputs.

Any adapter is going to have the resolution at the lowest common denominator.

The worst resolution will be gotten with anything connected to a VGA port because that is analog, whereas DVI, Display Port and HDMI are all high definition and thus would provide for the best resolution.

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
HP Recommended

Hi:

IMO, your best option is to get a HDMI cable, if the monitor and PC both have HDMI inputs.

Any adapter is going to have the resolution at the lowest common denominator.

The worst resolution will be gotten with anything connected to a VGA port because that is analog, whereas DVI, Display Port and HDMI are all high definition and thus would provide for the best resolution.

HP Recommended

Hey, thanks for the response! 

HDMI still reduces the picture quality, yes? How noticeable would it be? I dread having to return the monitor (it would take upwards of a month) but that is theoretically another option, if the quality suffers too much. 

HP Recommended

You're very welcome.

If you were using a VGA cable previously, the picture quality is going to be better with HDMI, not worse.

You should notice a nice improvement in color and clarity.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.