Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended

@MARCELUSS wrote:

HI IM MARCELUSS FROM UPINGTON I NEED ASISSTANCE ON A COMPAQ LAPTOP IT DOES'NT WANNA BOOT SOMEONE PLEASE HELP ME. 

Here is a document on the motherboard in your PC.  Read and use the section on clearing CMOS. Your motherboard has a jumper named JBAT1. That green thing is the jumper for clearing CMOS. It is quite small. Don't lose it. Don't forget to remove the CMOS battery while you are doing it and pressing the power button to remove any residual current in the CMOS.

regards,

erico

I am a volunteer forum member, not an HP employee. If my suggestion solved your issue, don't forget to mark that post as the accepted solution. If you want to say thanks, click on the Yes button next to the "was this reply helpful?"

HP Recommended

Hi,

@JRODTech wrote:

Hello. I have done pretty much everything that the original poster did as well as the solution that fixed his problem but I still can't get pass the Compaq Logo Screen. The Model of the computer is a Compaq SR1726NX. I even tried buying a new CR2032 CMOS battery and replaced it with the one on the mobo....still nothing.

I am assuming that the Motherboard is dead. However, the odd thing is I still get power from the mobo just fine because all the fans work just fine. I get no beeps or error codes whatsoever. I even tried using another hard drive with a working version of Windows XP Pro. Same results. I tried different compatible RAM modules besides the ones that already came with the computer, same results.

Any help is appreciated.

Message Edited by JRODTech on 02-16-2009 09:26 PM

Take a read of this document. What you need to do is clear the CMOS by using the CLRTC jumper. There is a section near the bottom of the motherboard document which has an illustration. Don't forget my suggestion to remov the CMOS battery while you are doing it.

regards,

erico

I am a volunteer forum member, not an HP employee. If my suggestion solved your issue, don't forget to mark that post as the accepted solution. If you want to say thanks, click on the Yes button next to the "was this reply helpful?"

HP Recommended

Your post completely solved my computer problem. I do not know much about fixing computers, but my laptop would start up and then stay at the screen where it would say F10 for Boot or F2 for Bios. I couldn't get it to go past that screen and after searching the internet (on another laptop), I came across this post and your response solved my problem. THANKS A LOT!

HP Recommended

Laptop computer will not post; locked in a start up locked

HP Recommended

@JRODTech wrote:

Hello. I have done pretty much everything that the original poster did as well as the solution that fixed his problem but I still can't get pass the Compaq Logo Screen. The Model of the computer is a Compaq SR1726NX. I even tried buying a new CR2032 CMOS battery and replaced it with the one on the mobo....still nothing.

I am assuming that the Motherboard is dead. However, the odd thing is I still get power from the mobo just fine because all the fans work just fine. I get no beeps or error codes whatsoever. I even tried using another hard drive with a working version of Windows XP Pro. Same results. I tried different compatible RAM modules besides the ones that already came with the computer, same results.

Any help is appreciated.

Message Edited by JRODTech on 02-16-2009 09:26 PM

I hadn't seen your post as this is quite an old and solved thread. Your issue is the result of a corrupted BIOS ROM file. It is unfortunate that your motherboard decided to go south at the same time as the BIOS. It happens. :indifferent:

HP Recommended

dont know if you are still here but this was awesome.....keep up the excellent advice... thank you, ldue2541

HP Recommended

Yes. I am stilll here.

Thank You.   

HP Recommended
Hey jeanpanos the trick is if you look at the battery you see a pair of tongs that hold the battery in place if you get a tiny,micro flathead screwdriver you will need two push the tongs with one micro flathead screwdriver and use the other to pry out the battery it is pretty simple with a desktop with a laptop its the same you just have to take out the motherboard and flip it over and get the battery out with the same method but when taking out the screws you also have to unplug any cords going to the motherboard
HP Recommended

@Heathzirwas wrote:
Hey jeanpanos the trick is if you look at the battery you see a pair of tongs that hold the battery in place if you get a tiny,micro flathead screwdriver you will need two push the tongs with one micro flathead screwdriver and use the other to pry out the battery it is pretty simple with a desktop with a laptop its the same you just have to take out the motherboard and flip it over and get the battery out with the same method but when taking out the screws you also have to unplug any cords going to the motherboard

@Heathzirwas

That is poor advice. All you need to remove a BIOS battery from the old school motherboard is two fingers on one hand, not two screwdrivers.

The pC has a  is a socket 939 model motherboard from thirteen years ago

It is a surprise and testament to it high quiality that it lasted this long.

In order to help keep the topic and foprum timely, I will be blocking new replies to this old thread.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.