cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents and videos on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents and videos on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
The HP Calculator Community Message Board is moving. While we prepare for the move, we are unable to accept new postings. During the move, you can look for help from other users by visiting https://www.hpmuseum.org/ . Or if you need technical support for your calculator visit: HP Calculators. .
TX_Racer
Level 2
4 3 1 3
Message 1 of 6
Flag Post

Solved!

Computer won’t recognize new RAM in the 2nd slot

HP Recommended
Pavilion 570-P094
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

I’m trying to upgrade my computer to 16gb of Ram with two 8gb sticks. Slot 1 works great with either sticks but I can’t get my computer to recognize either of the stick in slot 2. If I put the new RAM in slot 2 and nothing in slot 1, the computer won’t boot up. I have restarted my computer various times and reinstalled the Sticks many times so I’m sure I have seated it correctly. I have also tried to go into Bios but I wasn’t able to find a way to enable this slot. Can you help me understand if this slot is broken or if there’s a setting I need to change to enable this slot?

My new RAM is G. Skill Ripjaws V Series DDR4 2400. This matches the memory upgrade information on the HP website so it should work. 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
TX_Racer
Author
Level 2
4 3 1 3
Message 5 of 6
Flag Post
HP Recommended

I really appreciate your help. I’ve spent days trying to figure this out so it’s great getting an answer from someone who knows a lot more about this than I do.  I think I’m going to return the G.Skill ram and buy ram from Crucial Memory. Happy New Year. 

View solution in original post

Was this reply helpful? Yes No
5 REPLIES 5
Grzwacz
Level 12
Level 12
7,153 5,668 679 1,459
Message 2 of 6
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Hi,

It looks like HP shipped the PC with 8 GBs of RAM.

Do you have one 8 GB stick or two four GB sticks?

Some HP consumer motherboards are temperamental when it comes to memory upgrades. 

Memory should be installed using a kit. The speed and timings should be identical.

It is possible the unused memory slot is faulty. There should be no setting in the BIOS to disable memory slots, I have never used a MB having a memory slot enable/disable option.

Have you tried the factory memory in the second slot? Some motherboards require specific memory slot placement when not populating all memory slots.

The G Skill memory may not be a good fit when paired with the factory memory.

Regards

TX_Racer
Author
Level 2
4 3 1 3
Message 3 of 6
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Thanks for getting back to me so quickly. The computer originally contained one 8gb stick. I have purchased a kit of two 8gb sticks so I now need to use both slots. I am not trying to pair the new ram with the factory ram. 

I just tried putting the factory stick in slot 2 and it worked. What does this mean? Should I send back the new ram because it is not compatible with my computer? Should I try another brand? Should I switch to one 16gb stick? Your recommendation would be greatly appreciated. 

Grzwacz
Level 12
Level 12
7,153 5,668 679 1,459
Message 4 of 6
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Hi,

You're very welcome.

That is strange, the factory memory works in slots 1 and 2, each new memory stick works in slot 1 but not slot 2. 

You can't buy HP memory for this PC at this time using HP Part Surfer (Link). The HP memory part number is 860399-800. Maybe you can purchase the HP memory on the web.

The only suggestion I have is to try Crucial Memory (Link). Crucial Memory works well with HP consumer motherboards.

Regards

TX_Racer
Author
Level 2
4 3 1 3
Message 5 of 6
Flag Post
HP Recommended

I really appreciate your help. I’ve spent days trying to figure this out so it’s great getting an answer from someone who knows a lot more about this than I do.  I think I’m going to return the G.Skill ram and buy ram from Crucial Memory. Happy New Year. 

TX_Racer
Author
Level 2
4 3 1 3
Message 6 of 6
Flag Post
HP Recommended

As a follow-up, I purchased the Crucial Memory and it worked without any issues. Thanks for the recommendation. 

Warning Be alert for scammers posting fake support phone numbers and/or email addresses on the community. If you think you have received a fake HP Support message, please report it to us by clicking on "Flag Post".
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation