Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Any failures related to Hotkey UWP service? Click here for tips.
HP Recommended
Compaq Presario CQ5700F Desktop PC
Microsoft Windows 7 (64-bit)

Dear HP Friends,
Hope all is well...
My CQ5700F has been sitting for awhile and before I shut it down. I DISCONNECTED some of the cables/connectors going to and from the Motherboard to the Hard drive, CD/Disc Player.  You have P2, P3, P4, P5 Female connectors to choice from  coming off or out of the Power supply.
The P Connector  (female) coming off the Disc player labeled C is connected to the P5 (male connector) and I am NOT certain that is correct. The smaller  flat plugin cable SATA next to it is connected to SATA 2 on the motherboard. The smaller flat connector coming from the Hard drive is plugged into the dark blue SATA 1 on the  motherboard an so on... This is the result of starting a project to possibly replace the Power Supply.
I've looked all over the Internet trying to find a clear and concise Diagram and or Picture to show where these various cables Go and Fit together.
Any help, suggestions, Clear pictures would be deeply appreciated.
Have a great day and please stay healthy and safe.
Cordially, Raphael

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Thank you, have a nice day, evening too
Indeed, quite an old computer, it may not be worth spending the money

Sorry

--------------------------------------------- Signature ---------------------------------------------
was this reply helpful , or just say thank you ? Click on the yes button

Please remember to mark the answers this can help other users
please click on the accept as solution button if message provided an answer to the problem

Desktop-Knowledge-Base
Windows 11 22h2 inside , user

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7
HP Recommended

hi

You should be able to use any power connector
You just have to be careful to use the cable that best suits the distance.
if not too short, that it does not force then it is ok
for Sata data, you should check the port standard, and use the fastest depending on the connected HDD if there is
I don't know if it's ok, because the hp links are port, I just found this

https://support.hp.com/ph-en/document/c02629647 cache 

https://support.hp.com/lv-en/document/c02552467 cache 

--------------------------------------------- Signature ---------------------------------------------

please click on the accept as solution button if message provided an answer to the problem

Desktop-Knowledge-Base

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
HP Recommended

Thank you for this. Ideally I need a color diagram and or a list of the various cables and connectors. Specifically showing the Various connections between them and the Motherboard(MB). (Note Attachements) The issue with these is that huge bundle of wires that obstructs the plugs and connectors locations. There are 4 different colored and numbered SATA inputs on the motherboard (MB). SATA 1 is dark blue, SATA 2 is white, SATA 3 is light blue and SATA 4 Orange.
So we have cables coming out the back of Hard-drive and CD player going to different SATA connectors on the Motherboard (MB).
You said any of the P connectors coming occ the Power supply are okay to use. Yes/No? One other thing I'm certain of the positions of the Shorting pins for CMOS? there is a smaller blue one the left side and next to it and larger green one with a Tab attached to it.
Hope these help "Actual pics"
Best, Raphael

HP2.JPG

HP 1.JPG

HP Recommended

At this level, I no longer understand your problem.
you connect the HDD hard drive, to the sata 1, and a power cable, it doesn't matter which one as long as it's long enough

unless your power supply cable does not match?
Just as you then connect the dvd  to one of the free sata ports, it will make no difference normally!
For the cmos you don't have to touch it normally..

Desktop-Knowledge-Base

HP Recommended

Thank You very much for your time...
There must be other hardware that isn't working correctly..maybe the Power supply is failing?!? 
Power on  but the screen say in Power saver mode>touch any key or move the mouse and nothing happens.
It won't boot. Maybe hard-drive or mother board is toast. 

Take care, R

HP Recommended

On the power supply there must be a light, if it stays on, it may not be defective, if the case in general it flashes
What exactly happens on startup?
It could be the motherboard or another component, difficult to diagnose here

Desktop-Knowledge-Base

HP Recommended

Thank You!
if I had a bunch of CPU's and Power supplies hanging around, etc...maybe (?) I'd put more time into this project. It's outdated technology and a very basic desktop to begin with.. that has very little you can do with it accept add more RAM or beef up the power supply not much if anything else...
It's looking like I will cannibalize it and nix the rest.
Have a great day!
r
😉

HP Recommended

Thank you, have a nice day, evening too
Indeed, quite an old computer, it may not be worth spending the money

Sorry

Desktop-Knowledge-Base

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.