Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended
Example: 15-da0032wm
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Ok so I have a Hp 15-da0032wm laptop using windows 64 OS. Tried to run Linux using oracle box. Yet it says error need kernel for i686 cpu. i686 cpu is 32 bit only. So if my cpu is 32 bit how I am I using windows 64? Is my i3 processor in the Hp 15-da0032wm  supposed to be using windows 32? I mean it’s a 2018 computer new but not super old either. I upgraded from 4g of ram to 12g. The upgraded the HDD to SSD only. So it runs well for the only having a i3 wish I could upgrade the i3 to maybe i5. Anyway if topic why do I get an error about the 32 but cpu?

2 REPLIES 2
HP Recommended

The Hp 15-da0032wm laptop is using a Intel i3-8130U CPU and it is indeed a 64bit CPU and your Windows is 64bit.

https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/products/processors/core/i3-processors/i3-8130u.html

Is this the error you are seeing (worded slightly different than what you posted)

“This kernel requires an x86-64 CPU, but only detected an i686 CPU. Unable to boot – please use a kernel appropriate for your CPU”  I found that this error will appear when Intel Virtualization Technology is not enabled.  Intel Virtualization Technology needs to be enabled in the BIOS, if the motherboard/BIOS support it.

I'm not an HP employee.
Did this message answer your question? Please indicate below as an Accepted Solution!
Did you find this message useful? Click on the "Was this reply helpful" Yes button.
HP Recommended

Ok so yes your correct that is the error message. I received. By laptop does have a virtualization option which I did turn on in bios. Gonna try again. I did read that windows pro offers a virtualization but not on home which I am using. Thanks for verifying the cpu is 64 I thought it was the error message had me confused. 

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.