Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Any failures related to Hotkey UWP service? Click here for tips.
HP Recommended

I have a DC7600 cmt with a

• Intel P4 640 (3.2/800/2M) processor with HyperThreading /ATI X1300 Video Card/1.5G Ram
  • Can I upgrade to any of these cpu's?

-Pentium D SL88T 2.8GHZ/2M/800/05A

-Pentium D 945 Dual Core 3.4 GHz 4M/800 775 SL9QQ

-Intel Pentium D 940 Dual Core Processor (3.2-GHz, 2x2MB L2 cache,
    800-MHz FSB)
    -Intel Pentium D 840 Dual Core Processor (3.2-GHz, 2x1MB L2 cache,
    800-MHz FSB)
    And would I see the performance improvements?

Here is link to specs:http://h20000.www2.hp.com/bizsupport/TechSupport/Document.jsp?lang=en&cc=us&taskId=120&prodSeriesId=...

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
    HP Recommended

Hi:

I have a dc7600 CMT that originally came with the P4 640 processor. I installed the Pentium D 945 with sSpec SL9QQ.

Works great, and I can definitely see a performance improvement. I also installed Windows 7 on it, and the processor rating increased in the Windows Experience Indicator (WEI).  I don't remember how much but since you can get one of those processors for less than $40 USD, you may as well max it out.

You will need to have BIOS version 1.56A or newer to install a PD 945. If you don't have that version installed, you may as well flash to the latest version.

DO NOT FLASH the BIOS if you are running Windows 7. You need to have XP or Vista on your PC to use the windows based flash or you can render your PC useless.

Follow all other precautions if you need to flash your BIOS.

Paul

View solution in original post

124 REPLIES 124
    HP Recommended

@rikirud wrote:

I have a DC7600 cmt with a

• Intel P4 640 (3.2/800/2M) processor with HyperThreading /ATI X1300 Video Card/1.5G Ram
  • Can I upgrade to any of these cpu's?

-Pentium D SL88T 2.8GHZ/2M/800/05A  This is the one you want to use. It is compatible with your motherboard 

-Pentium D 945 Dual Core 3.4 GHz 4M/800 775 SL9QQ

-Intel Pentium D 940 Dual Core Processor (3.2-GHz, 2x2MB L2 cache,
    800-MHz FSB)
    -Intel Pentium D 840 Dual Core Processor (3.2-GHz, 2x1MB L2 cache,
    800-MHz FSB)
    And would I see the performance improvements? Yes. Dual core processors compared to single core processors are a world apart.

The prices vary greatly from $13.- to ridiculously high. Here is the Google search I did.

Here is link to specs:http://h20000.www2.hp.com/bizsupport/TechSupport/Document.jsp?lang=en&cc=us&taskId=120&prodSeriesId=...

Best regards,
    erico

I am a volunteer forum member, not an HP employee. If my suggestion solved your issue, don't forget to mark that post as the accepted solution. If my post was helpful or you just want to say thanks, click on the Yes button next to the "was this reply helpful?"

HP Recommended

Hi:

I have a dc7600 CMT that originally came with the P4 640 processor. I installed the Pentium D 945 with sSpec SL9QQ.

Works great, and I can definitely see a performance improvement. I also installed Windows 7 on it, and the processor rating increased in the Windows Experience Indicator (WEI).  I don't remember how much but since you can get one of those processors for less than $40 USD, you may as well max it out.

You will need to have BIOS version 1.56A or newer to install a PD 945. If you don't have that version installed, you may as well flash to the latest version.

DO NOT FLASH the BIOS if you are running Windows 7. You need to have XP or Vista on your PC to use the windows based flash or you can render your PC useless.

Follow all other precautions if you need to flash your BIOS.

Paul

HP Recommended

Hi

can I install processor Pentium dual-core E5400 @ 2,70 GHz in my dc7600 sff?

I tried this processor but when computer starts there are only two red blinks followed by beeps...It should be some problem with processor overheating...

HP Recommended

Hi:

No Pentium E series processsor of any number will work in a dc7600. 

Max is the Pentium D 950, which is just a 945 with VT.

Paul

HP Recommended

Why I get error - 2 red blinks - it should be "Processor thermal protection activated"?

This Processor should fit?

HP Recommended

Hi:

I agree that the error is for thermal shutdown, but I don't know why you are getting that. 

If the PC was working fine before you changed the processor, then  it must be related to the unsupported processor.

Why would you only upgrade to the Pentium D 820? 

It will work, but why not go all the way to the Pentium D 945 like I did.

Check eBay and get a used but tested and working processor. I got one with the sSpec SL9QQ and it worked perfectly.

Paul

HP Recommended

I found this model also:

Intel Pentium D 925 3.00 Dual core 775 socket 4mb L2 800FSB

Will this fit? What do you think about this model?

Now, I am using Celeron 2,8ghz 256kb..

HP Recommended

Yes, the 925 will work just fine.

Have you installed the latest microcode update and BIOS?

You can only update the BIOS in XP and Vista. You should not flash the BIOS if you have installed Windows 7 or you will probably ruin the computer.

HP Recommended

I forgot to tell you that I didnt have any problem at start with my old processor. When i put new processor I got the error - two red blinks. I put back my old processor, and it's everything OK now.
    I have checked the bios version, it is the latest one -1.61...

Here, in Bosnia, that d820 I found for about 10,00 Euros, but this D925 costs 20,00 Euros.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.