Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended
HP Compaq dc7600 Small Form Factor

I want,to upgrade the cpu.

What are my options?

What are the compilations?

or what motherboard compilation?

4 REPLIES 4
HP Recommended

Hi:

The best processor you can upgrade to is the Pentium D 945 dual core processor.

If you need virtualization technology, then you would want the Pentium D 950 dual core processor.

You may need to update the microcode found under the dc7600 support page, before installing either of those processors.

HP Recommended

Hello!
Which four core processors are compatible with compaq dc7600 (s / n CZC6434DV7)?

For example, Intel Core 2 Quad Q6700.

HP Recommended

Hi, @Maksym

The best processor you can upgrade to is the Pentium D 945 dual core processor.

If you need virtualization technology, then you would want the Pentium D 950 dual core processor.

You may need to update the microcode found under the dc7600 support page, before installing either of those processors.

No quad core processor will work.  No dual core (E6xxx) will work.  No 1066 MHz FSB processor will work.

HP Recommended

I upgraded to Pentium D 950 (SL95V) and BIOS v1.61 (2009). Then the fans started to run constantly at full speed (thus producing a very loud server-like noise) as the core temperature of the CPU couldn't be measured. All the software I tried for this failed to show meaningful results; the readings didn't change at all when the CPU load changed. The Intel processor diagnostic tool showed that the CPU passes all the tests but the temperature test because "temperature not supported". But the BIOS and the main board should fully support these CPUs, shouldn't it? Or are there different revisions of the main board, some of which don't fully support it?

P.S. I found replacements for the front panel intake fan and the PSU exhaust fan – the temperature-controlled Arctic F9 TC and F8 TC fans, respectively. With them, the airflow of both fans is reduced by about 36%, which I find acceptable, as the dc7600 spec states a maximum allowable operating temperature of 35 °C whereas the temperature in the room in which it operates is considerably lower. As to the CPU heatsink fan, I replaced it with the Delta AFB0712VHB-8L43 fan (taken from the stock cooler of the AMD FD8300WMHKBOX box processor) which has got an on-board thermistor placed in the way of the air blown by the fan. So all the three fans are now temperature-controlled. This leaves only the question of the incompatibility with the thermal diode of this CPU. Its data sheet says that it does have one, in the form of the base-eimitter junction of a PNP transistor with grounded collector. (The Pentium 4 has a thermal diode whereas the Pentium D and the Core Duo have a transistor.) But without a schematic diagram of the main board, this is very hard to resolve.

P.P.S. It turned out that the dc7600 does't wake up after falling asleep with this CPU. The fans and the HDD resume operation, but Windows doesn't. It did work OK with the original Pentium 4 630. I circumvented this issue by setting up Windows to shut down after 30 minutes of user inactivity (instead of sleeping) with the help of the Airytec Switch Off software (version 3.5.1).

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.