Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended
Envy 750-100NL
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Hello,

recently I've been encountering issues which my DVD drive, that's an Ultra Slim Tray model (HP HLDS DVDRW GUD0N), it's the one that came with my desktop computer. the issue I've been encountering is that everytime I insert a disc in my DVD drive unit my DVD device disappears completely from Windows' explore manager, or anything I can use to browse my computer units.

there's no way that I know that can help making the DVD drive unit come back on the spot (can't reboot everytime to make the unit work again), and even rebooting sometimes isn't helping to make the DVD drive unit come back. the DVD device seems to be active as the led is on, there has been only an occasion where my computer booted and the DVD device didn't seem to have activate (I couldn't open the device carriage that one time).

only informations I can provide are that my DVD drive has been working alright for the past 2 years since I've had this computer, and recently I had to install some of the latest Windows 10 updates (KB4524100, KB4517389, KB4524147), and even with some previous security updates from Windows they introduced some kind of protection that prevented me from browsing the DVD drive content by clicking from the explore manager.

I don't know if my DVD issues have anything to do with the system updates provided by Windows 10, or there's something wrong with the SATA cables. before going to touch anything I'd like to ask for your assistance first.

Thanks in advance to anybody that's willing to help me out!

7 REPLIES 7
HP Recommended

@Crotalo

I'll be happy to assist you with the issue, to provide you with an accurate solution, I'll need a few more details:

Could you please help me with the exact model name or the product number?

Are you facing this issue after an update?

Keep me posted.

Thank you for joining the HP Community.

Have a great day!

Cheers 🙂

Raj1788
I am an HP Employee 

HP Recommended

Hello Raj,

my computer is an HP Evny Desktop 750-100nl, product number P1J13EA.

bought this computer 2 years ago, let's say the problems started a couple months ago, my DVD writer, started having issues with burning discs properly, but no problem with reading the discs.

then in mid/late September 2019, had to do some forced system updates for Windows 10 and that added the annoyance that I couldn't access the content by left clicking on the DVD unit in the file explorer (to bypass that I that to right click the icon and choose "open to new window").

then, like I mentioned in my previous post, they introduced those other system updates and now my DVD unit keeps disappearing everytime I inject a disc in it.

the DVD device disappears from the device manager aswell. even by rebooting the device is nowhere to be found.

sometimes it's there again for reasons I don't know, but as soon as I inject a disc it will disappear again.

on a sidenote, the SATA driver reported in my device manager says it's a Intel(R) 100 Series/C230 Chipset Family SATA AHCI Controller. don't know if that's an useful information to your account.

HP Recommended

@Crotalo

Click on the below document and follow the step by step instructions to get the issue resolved.

Click here: https://support.hp.com/in-en/document/c03370738

Keep me posted, how it goes!

If the information provided was helpful, give us some reinforcement by clicking the Accepted Solution and Kudos buttons, that'll help us and others see that we've got the answers!

Have a great day!

Cheers:)

Raj1788
I am an HP Employee 

HP Recommended

Hello @RAJ1788

I followed the page you recommended me from step 6, although I now wonder if the system updates are really what lead my DVD writer to malfunction.

Nothing much I could do following step 6 tho, as I don't have any UpperFilter and LowerFilter key in my registry. My 4d36e965-e325-11ce-bfc1-08002be10318 registry class looks identical to the pic shown in the support page, minus any Upper or Lower filter values.

Test 7 points me out to check for CD/DVD drive failure, the support page only points me out to the Fast Test and the Extensive Test. does any of the following run any test on my DVD drive, or does it just run a test on my Hard Drive? also I see no testing option to execute a test only on my DVD drive.

Awaiting for your advice before trying to do anything with that HP PC Hardware Diagnostic tool.

In the meantime I may try following steps 1-5 from the link you gave me, just incase the Windows updates aren't the cause.

HP Recommended

@Crotalo
Thank you for posting back. 

Let's try this:
testing for Hardware Failures: https://support.hp.com/in-en/document/c03467259 ( refer to step: Complete list of Component Tests )

And select: Optical Drive Tests - These tests include the Sequential Read Test, Random Read Test, and Write Read Compare Test.

Keep me posted!

ECHO_LAKE
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

ok, here's the deal.

I don't know what makes the DVD drive come back from time to time. When the drive is found it stays there until a disc is inserted, then it disappears.

So, while doing this test I had the DVD drive listed in Windows file explorer, I rebooted my pc, got into the HP PC Hw Diag UEFI tool, inserted a written DVD-R disc, entered the Component Tests > Optical Drive schedule and ran a reading test.

The test didn't go further 1% and a ""No optical drive is installed" task has popped up. The full message read something along the lines of "No optical drive is installed. Check the cables to see if they're connected properly" (I ran the tool in my own idioma, didn't think about selecting English at the startup),

As soon as I exited the Diag tool and reload into Windows 10 x64, I checked the file explorer and the DVD drive was no longer there.

HP Recommended

@Crotalo

Thank you for posting back.

This sounds like a hardware related issue,

I would request you to reach out to our Support and our Support Engineers should be able to check the available service options in order to diagnose the computer physically. HP Support can be reached by clicking on the following link:  www.hp.com/contacthp/

Please feel free to contact us here anytime you need any further assistance. Please click “Accept as Solution” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution.

ECHO_LAKE
I am an HP Employee

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.