Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Any failures related to Hotkey UWP service? Click here for tips.
HP Recommended
HP Pavilion 23 AIO
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Hello everyone, 

So after installing an SSD on our Pavilion 23 AIO as the HDD was going bad, I went into BIOS to change the boot order. It asked to dissable secure boot in order to enable Legacy boot, but  I accidentally dissabled both the front and back USB ports... 

Now no peripherals or USBs work at all!!!

I have tried removing the CMOS but it seems not to make a difference, all it does is go into a "No bootable device detected" screen and nothing else. I tried removing the SSD and leaving the Windows 10 ISO plugged in so it boots but since the USBs are  dissabled, Im stuck on the same screen...  I even tried using it without a CMOS but same issue... I also tried a separate CMOS battery but same results... Im really stuck..

Any advise on either somehow resetting BIOS to default or anything to make the keyboard work would help alot!

Thank you!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Hi

Clearing CMOS jumpers, if it is an option, is equivalent to removing the MB battery.

Tom

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7
HP Recommended

Hi

Removing the MB battery and letting the system sit for about ten minutes should reset the BIOS when you reinstall the MB battery.

You don't have to make any BIOS modifications to run a new SSD or W10. The USB ports should now be active after resetting the BIOS.

You mentioned having a W10 .ISO on a USB stick.

You cannot boot to an .ISO file. This may be why you are getting the "no boot device detected" error message.

The .ISO file has to be converted to bootable W10 installation media.

Did you use the W10 Media Creation Tool to create bootable W10 USB media? Or do you have HP factory installation media?

Tom

HP Recommended

Hey Grzwacs,

I removed the CMOS battery over night, came to it this morning but the USB ports are still not working. 😕

Yes I made the USB bootable and tested it by booting onto it with another device.

Since the SSD is blank , and the ports are dissbled it wont boot into anything. 😕

I attached the image of the CMOS battery which i had removed, is this the same battery (MB Battery) that you are reffering to?WIN_20180416_13_48_04_Pro.jpg

HP Recommended

Hi

I can't see the image until HP Moderators approve it.

The MB battery is a CR2032 watch type battery.

Try a new battery.

You are in limbo if you have no USB function.

Something else happened here.

You may be looking at a possible MB hardware failure.

Tom

HP Recommended

Hi

I see the image.

The MB battery is about a one inch in diameter circular battery attached to the motherboard (MB).

You have to get to the MB to remove this battery.

Tom

HP Recommended

Yeah i removed the CMOS which is that CR2032 battery and also replaced it but it keeps the settings... It doesnt detect USB ports...

I was trying to see if there was any way to manually reset it with a jumper, but on this MOBO i do not see  clear cmos pins... just cmos+pw and cmos config

HP Recommended

Hi

Clearing CMOS jumpers, if it is an option, is equivalent to removing the MB battery.

Tom

HP Recommended

After some more research, i found  that there was a 6 pin switch (the one labeled cmos+pw) which I took the jumpers from the first 4 to the last 4 and it reset the BIOS. 

That totally saved it lol!

Now everything is good to go :OpenSmile:

Thanks for your help! 🙂 

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.