Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended
HP ENVY All-in-one 27-b111nb
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Hi,

I just purchased an HP ENVY All-in-one 27-b111nb (very nice PC!) under Windows 10 home (now updated to 1703), and am systematically updating its drivers. However I am puzzled by the discrepencies of the versions offered, depending on where I look. 

For example via Windows Device Manager I updated the Intel HD Graphics 630 driver and it is now version 22.20.16.4785 (29/8/2017, note European dates have days first). I then ran My HP Support Assistant which now suggests I update to version 21.20.16.4627Ap1, which is obviously an earlier version, and this seems incorrect.

Am I right in refusing my HP support assistant's recommendation?

Should I systematically use Windows Device Manager?

The HP support site (US) (at https://support.hp.com/us-en/drivers/selfservice/hp-envy-27-b100-all-in-one-desktop-pc-series/138235...) also offers me 21.20.16.4627 Rev.A. Some of the other driver updates this site offers mention windows 10 v1607 but not v1703 (the version I have on my PC). Should I install drivers that are not for v1703?

Any suggestions welcome.

Papy

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

@PapyPapy

HP Support Assistant upgrades Fully TESTED and released from HP therefore in many cases drivers are behind.

You can use Device Manager to upgrade to newer drivers (many cases won't work or uninstall at all) and if calling for help HP would advise you to roll back to official deivers from HP.

Again, similar boat for drivers from Windows 1607 to 1703.

Hope this makes sense.

Regards.

BH
**Click the KUDOS thumb up on the left to say 'Thanks'**
Make it easier for other people to find solutions by marking a Reply 'Accept as Solution' if it solves your problem.

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
HP Recommended

@PapyPapy

HP Support Assistant upgrades Fully TESTED and released from HP therefore in many cases drivers are behind.

You can use Device Manager to upgrade to newer drivers (many cases won't work or uninstall at all) and if calling for help HP would advise you to roll back to official deivers from HP.

Again, similar boat for drivers from Windows 1607 to 1703.

Hope this makes sense.

Regards.

BH
**Click the KUDOS thumb up on the left to say 'Thanks'**
Make it easier for other people to find solutions by marking a Reply 'Accept as Solution' if it solves your problem.

HP Recommended

Dear Banhien,

Thanks for your quick and clear reply, I will follow your advice and from now on only update drivers via the HP Assistant and/or the relevant HP Support site.

Luckily my HD graphics driver update from Windows DEvice Manager seems to be working fine, so I'll leave it in place.

Yours

Papy

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.