Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended
23-c010xt
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

I have an Envy 23 All-In-One Desktop PC with the following details.

Model #: 23-c010xt
Product #: C1A69AV#ABA
[serial number removed]
Software Build #: 12NA3AC8603#SABA#DABA
Service ID #: 20121129
PCBRAND #: HP
OS #: ML

This PC came with Windows 8 and I upgraded to Windows 10. The optical drive is a Slot-Load SuperMulti Blu-ray Burner. Windows reports it as "hp BD DRV BD-5841H5".

I can burn single-layer 25GB BD-Rs just fine. However it does not recognize dual-layer 50GB BD-Rs at all.

Does this drive support dual-layer 50GB BD-Rs? I can't find this info anywhere.

If it does support dual-layer 50GB BD-R's, any suggestions on what I can do to get this drive to regognize dual-layer 50GB BD-Rs?

Thanks for your time and help.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Just received some new Smart Buy DL BD-Rs and Windows recognized them as blank without any issue. Not sure why my original Verbatim stopped being recognized. I tried all 25 Verbatim discs and none worked! I guess beware that Verbatim DL BD-Rs go bad after 3 years in storage. The ones I burned however, seem to still be working fine.

4130OufJFFL.jpg

View solution in original post

9 REPLIES 9
HP Recommended

Hi:

The only suggestion I can offer, would be to install the free Nero Info Tool which should provide all of the specs/capabilities of the drive.

https://www.majorgeeks.com/files/details/nero_infotool.html

HP Recommended

Thank you. I use Nero Platinum 2019 and didn't know about that tool. The tool shows that DL BD-Rs are supported (adding screenshot).

Info.jpg

HP Recommended

But now the plot gets thicker. I'm pretty sure I was able to burn DL BD-Rs when I had Windows 8. I found one that I made a few years ago. It is 28GB in size, so has to be DL, and my drive reads and plays it just fine! It looks identical to the blank DL BD-Rs that I'm trying to use now: Verbatim BD-R DL (Part# 97334). I have had these for a few years and I don't think they would go bad.

So unless anyone has any other suggestions, I will try buying a new DL BD-R disc and see if the drive recogizes it. If not, then I guess a new external BD drive will be next (beats buying a new PC).

HP Recommended

Found another 33GB DL BD-R that I burned a few years ago. Works and plays just fine. That proves the drive supports recorded BD-Rs that I made before (screenshot attached). Not sure why it won't recorgnize the same DL BD-Rs that are blank. Nero InfoTool says to insert a supported disc... The only change is upgraded to Windows 10 and any associated Windows patches...

DL.jpg

HP Recommended

According to the info tool's report you posted, it should burn dual layer BR disks.

Why it doesn't unfortunately, that I do not know.

Perhaps you can try the Cyberlink Power 2Go software for W10 and see if that works...

8.0.3.6016 Rev.A   Windows 10 (64-bit)    Mar 8, 2016

CyberLink Power2Go is an imedia burning software that allows users to burn data, music or video discs. CyberLink Power2Go offers support for CDs, DVDs, HD DVDs, and Blu-ray discs, and also includes features for disc copying. This package is available for supported models running supported operating systems.

https://ftp.hp.com/pub/softpaq/sp75001-75500/sp75142.exe

HP Recommended

Thanks again Paul.

The issue is Windows doesn't see the DL BD-Rs either. The drive acts like there is no disc inserted. If I try to browse to the disc, it ejects and tells me to insert a disc. Also as I mentioned, Nero InfoTool calls the disc unsupported also and ejects it.

I think until Windows sees the blank disc, no other software will see it either, no?

I ordered some other brand DL BD-Rs and see if Windows will see them. If not, then I guess I will need to try an external BD-R drive...

HP Recommended

You're very welcome.

Yes, I agree with you.

HP Recommended

Just received some new Smart Buy DL BD-Rs and Windows recognized them as blank without any issue. Not sure why my original Verbatim stopped being recognized. I tried all 25 Verbatim discs and none worked! I guess beware that Verbatim DL BD-Rs go bad after 3 years in storage. The ones I burned however, seem to still be working fine.

4130OufJFFL.jpg

HP Recommended

Glad you're back in business.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.