Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended
HP 8000 Elite CMT
Linux

I'm trying to upgrade this machine from 8Gb (4x2) to 16 as 4*4. I bought this

It's four Corsair DDR3 cards, DDR3 XMS3, PC3-10600 (1333), Non-ECC Unbuffered, CAS 9-9-9-24, and they just don't work! The machine fails to boot giving 5 beeps and flashes indicating it's a RAM failure. I've tried all four, I've tried pairs of them, I've tried each of them individually (in socket 1), and it complains every time. Putting back the (original) four cards (part no 16JTF25664AZ-1G4F) restores normality (at least for the computer).
Any idea what's wrong with these cards? The likelihood of all four being faulty is (surely) infinitesimal. I see here that Paul Tikkanen has used cards that look like they've got the same spec with no problems... so I'm lost as to what to do (apart from return what I've bought).

What have I missed?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Hi:

Can you get this brand and model # memory in the UK?

I used 4 of these in my HP 8000 Elite CMT and they work just fine.

https://www.amazon.ca/Patriot-Signature-PC3-10600-Memory-PSD34G13332/dp/B003GSLDJ0/ref=sr_1_1?dchild...

If not, can you get this brand and model # memory?  They will also work.

G.SKILL Value Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1333 (PC3 10600) Desktop Memory Model F3-...

You cannot make memory work.  It either does or it doesn't.

It's not just the speed and voltage spec.

You probably have installed memory with two high a density and HP PCs with the Intel Series 4 and 5 chipsets do not like high density memory.

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
HP Recommended

Hi:

Can you get this brand and model # memory in the UK?

I used 4 of these in my HP 8000 Elite CMT and they work just fine.

https://www.amazon.ca/Patriot-Signature-PC3-10600-Memory-PSD34G13332/dp/B003GSLDJ0/ref=sr_1_1?dchild...

If not, can you get this brand and model # memory?  They will also work.

G.SKILL Value Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1333 (PC3 10600) Desktop Memory Model F3-...

You cannot make memory work.  It either does or it doesn't.

It's not just the speed and voltage spec.

You probably have installed memory with two high a density and HP PCs with the Intel Series 4 and 5 chipsets do not like high density memory.

HP Recommended

Hi Paul, thanks for that.

No, neither of those brands are widespread here,. At the moment at least only at exorbitant shipping cost from the US (Amazon is offering me a pair for £75!) or just in (second hand) ones and twos from eBay or Amazon.

Crucial recommend a couple of their products for the Elite 8000, so perhaps I'll try them.

Bizarre that this seems to depend on parts of the spec that aren't quoted 🤔

HP Recommended

You're very welcome.

I don't believe that the Crucial memory will work--even though it indicates 100% compatible.

It is very hard to find the right memory that works in the HP 6000 Pro, 8000 Elite and 8100 Elite model series.

That is unfortunate you cannot get that memory in the UK.

See if you can get a hold of someone from G.Skill and maybe they can let you know where to buy that part number in the UK, or an equivalent low density memory part number.

Where to buy-G.SKILL International Enterprise Co., Ltd.

HP Recommended

Well, thanks again, particularly for your thoughts on the Crucial version. I was beginning to have my doubts as well.  The Crucial advisor page is recommending 12600 chips, where the Elite manual doesn't include that as an acceptable spec.

The Amazon page says that advice given by that page is a "Compatibility assurance", which sounds a bit like a guarantee, if only of returnability, so I'm almost tempted to try it knowing I can return it if it doesn't work, but perhaps it would be more sensible to wait a little longer and get a new machine 🤔

HP Recommended

You're very welcome.

You can always try the Crucial memory as long as it can be returned.

With 16 GB of memory and a solid state drive, the 8000 Elite is still a decent performing PC.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.