cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
    Information
    Know the Benefits of your HP account

Connect with HP support faster, manage all your devices in one place, view warranty information and more– Click Here

Information
    Fix Windows 10 Update Issues

Resolve Windows 10 or update issues on HP computer or printer– Click Here

• post a message
    Information
    Know the Benefits of your HP account

Connect with HP support faster, manage all your devices in one place, view warranty information and more– Click Here

Information
    Fix Windows 10 Update Issues

Resolve Windows 10 or update issues on HP computer or printer– Click Here

• post a message
Highlighted
2 1 0 0
Message 1 of 4
Flag Post

Solved!

Elitedesk 800 G4 SFF

HP Recommended
EliteDesk 800G4 SFF
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Folks,

Motherboard Model: HP 83E1

Motherboard Chipset: Intel Q370 (Cannon Lake-H)

Would like to know what rev of NVMe this model support?

Hynix M2 is version 1.2 but I am not sure if the motherboard-chipset supports any higher. HWInfo says Drive Controller: NVMe (PCIe 2x 8.0 GT/s)

The question really is what is the most suitable version of NVMe M2 drive to replace the Hynix. I do not want to pay for a premium drive that is going to be an overkill for the hardware that will not return a best cost/value.

Thanks in advance.

3 REPLIES 3
Highlighted
Level 15
Level 15
23,297 22,962 2,660 9,213
Message 2 of 4
Flag Post
HP Recommended

@Big_M , welcome to the forum.

Here is the Product Specifications page for the computer: https://support.hp.com/us-en/product/hp-elitedesk-800-g4-small-form-factor-pc/21353718/document/c060...

If you look at the section titled "PCIe NVMe M.2 SSD drives", there is a list of compatible drives.  Also, look at the section titled "2.5 in SATA SSD drives".  There is a list of standard SSD's that are compatible.

Here is the Maintenance and Service Guide for the computer: http://h10032.www1.hp.com/ctg/Manual/c06472102

It has all of the other information that you will need for replacing the drive.

Please click the Thumbs up + button if I have helped you and click Accept as Solution if your problem is solved.

Signature:
HP TouchPad - 1.2 GHz; 1 GB memory; 32 GB storage; WebOS/CyanogenMod 11(Kit Kat)

Custom build: Corsair 750D Airflow (Full Tower); MSI MEG Z390 ACE; i9-9900K processor (OC'd 5.025); Corsair H150i cooler; Corsair Vengeance Pro 3200 memory ( 32 GB ); MSI RTX 2080 Gaming X Trio video card; MSI GH70 Immerse LED Headset; 3- Corsair QL140 RGB Fans w/Commander Pro and Lighting Node Core; Samsung 970 Pro 512 GB; Samsung 860 EVO 1 TB

HP Spectre 360 Convertible; i7-7560U; 16 GB memory; Intel® Iris™ Plus Graphics 640; 512 GB PCIe® NVMe™ M.2 SSD; 13.3" diagonal 4K UHD UWVA eDP BrightView WLED-backlit multitouch-enabled edge-to-edge glass (3840 x 2160); Windows 10 Pro 64 with Windows Ink

HP Photosmart 7855 AIO

**Click the Thumbs Up+ to say 'Thanks' and the 'Accept as Solution' if I have solved your problem.**

Intelligence is God given; Wisdom is the sum of our mistakes!

I am not an HP employee.

Highlighted
Author
2 1 0 0
Message 3 of 4
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Hello Old_Geekster,

You Got my thumbs up!

I suspect any NVMe mem drive will work but my curiosity is more of what is the best value/$$ for this motherboard/chipset.

There is a price difference of 30-40% between the fastest and the not so fast devices. If I know what is the highest speed/standard/version/gen this motherboard will support, then I could buy one that will just exceed its performance limit at a reasonable price. 

There has been many occasions where we buy a SATA3 SSD only to find that the motherboard only supports SATA2. Sure you will get faster speed throughput but not to the max.

This NVMe versions and Gen3/Gen4 stuff drives me nuts but I do enjoy reading up on the technology. (still couldn't find my answer however!)

Nevertheless, I appreciate your response and Maintenance manuals are always a good reading. Its amazing how we have moved on from a Morrow PC with Z80, 64KB RAM and 5 MB hard disk in the last 40 years or so.

Thanking you once again.

PS Intelligence is God given; Wisdom is the sum of our mistakes! (I have made many!, way too many!)

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 15
Level 15
23,297 22,962 2,660 9,213
Message 4 of 4
Flag Post
HP Recommended

You are welcome, @Big_M!

I am running a Samsung M.2, 970 Pro as my boot drive in my Custom Build.  I have run a Samsung 840 EVO as my boot drive in another computer and I can't honestly tell the difference in speed.  I am certain that you could measure the difference, but the naked eye can't tell there is any.  You can buy most any 500 GB to 1 TB Samsung SSD for less than $200 USD. 

Good luck!

Signature:
HP TouchPad - 1.2 GHz; 1 GB memory; 32 GB storage; WebOS/CyanogenMod 11(Kit Kat)

Custom build: Corsair 750D Airflow (Full Tower); MSI MEG Z390 ACE; i9-9900K processor (OC'd 5.025); Corsair H150i cooler; Corsair Vengeance Pro 3200 memory ( 32 GB ); MSI RTX 2080 Gaming X Trio video card; MSI GH70 Immerse LED Headset; 3- Corsair QL140 RGB Fans w/Commander Pro and Lighting Node Core; Samsung 970 Pro 512 GB; Samsung 860 EVO 1 TB

HP Spectre 360 Convertible; i7-7560U; 16 GB memory; Intel® Iris™ Plus Graphics 640; 512 GB PCIe® NVMe™ M.2 SSD; 13.3" diagonal 4K UHD UWVA eDP BrightView WLED-backlit multitouch-enabled edge-to-edge glass (3840 x 2160); Windows 10 Pro 64 with Windows Ink

HP Photosmart 7855 AIO

**Click the Thumbs Up+ to say 'Thanks' and the 'Accept as Solution' if I have solved your problem.**

Intelligence is God given; Wisdom is the sum of our mistakes!

I am not an HP employee.

0 Kudos
Warning Be alert for scammers posting fake support phone numbers and/or email addresses on the community. If you think you have received a fake HP Support message, please report it to us by clicking on "Flag Post".
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation