Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended

I installed a Nvidia NVS 510 Graphics Card in one of my fully working HP6300 Pro SFF desktops and discovered that I still had video output from the motherboard video outputs as well as the 4 mini-DP outputs on the card.  This machine has Win 10 Pro on it, the BIOS is K01 v02.98 Rev.A (same as v02.99 Rev.A says HP).  The processor is an i-5   I had minimal problems with icon size, text size, etc., not even needing to install the Nvidia software to adjust anything.  (Win 10 Pro handled any adjustments needed.)

I installed a 2nd Nvidia NVS 510 Graphics Card in a 2nd fully working HP6300 Pro SFF desktop and discovered that I do NOT have video output from the motherboard video outputs after the card is installed.  Installed, the 4 mini-DP outputs on the card work (best after installing the Nvidia software), but the motherboard graphics outputs do not function.  This machine has Win 7 Pro on it, the BIOS is older: K01 v02.05  ( Rev. unknown, if any).  The processor is an i3-2120.

Does anyone know if a BIOS upgrade in the 2nd machine will enable the  use of the motherboard video outputs simultaneous with the card video outputs?  Or, is this a Windows version issue (doesn't work in WIN 7 Pro), or could it be a processor issue (seems unlikely)  ?

Thanks in advance!

3 REPLIES 3
HP Recommended

Hi:

Normally when you install a video card, it disables the onboard video.

There should be a setting in the BIOS to enable the onboard Intel graphics so you can use that along with the Nvidia graphics adapter.

See chapter 3, page 23 for of the service manual for the location of this setting...

Integrated Video (enable/disable). Use this option to disable the integrated video controller when another video controller is present in the system. Default is enabled.

c04034127.pdf (hp.com)

HP Recommended

OK...  50% there...

I found the BIOS setting to enable the onboard graphics.  Once I enabled it, it grayed out, and now the cursor just skips over it, so if I ever wanted to disable it...  But, that's not presently a problem.

What IS a problem is that Windows (?) insists the TV / monitor fed from the Nvidia card is Monitor #1.  Well, no, the idea is to use the Display Port output from the onboard video as usual, feeding the monitor on my desk, and feed secondary / remote monitors from the Nvidia card.  So I made the desk monitor my "main display" in Windows:  THAT (main display) was fine, but the remote monitor would now not display using the entire screen no matter what I did in Windows or in the Nvidia software.  I ended up (fully) shutting down the HP 6300 and unplugging the cable to the secondary monitor, then rebooting the 6300.  My desk monitor reverted back to being #1... Until I reconnect the secondary (via Nvidia card) monitor, at which point the desk becomes #2 and the secondary monitor fed from the Nvidia card takes over again as #1.  The desktop monitor remained as my main display, BUT, the secondary monitor's resolution dropped to 1920 x 1080 "recommended".  If I crank it back up to 3840 x 2160 (the 4k native resolution of the remote monitor) then I'm back to only using half of the screen (in the center) of the remote monitor)  And, it is still monitor #2 in Windows, so pointing the mouse or moving windows now occurs to the left instead of the right of my main display.  This is very hard to get used to, after all my prior years of use working the other direction!  The sizing is just totally useless - this whole adventure was so I can use a large 4k secondary monitor.

None of this happens on the i5 machine.

I've only been back in the BIOS briefly, but I don't see a "video output order" option right off the bat...

Any ideas?  Risk updating the BIOS?

Thanks!

Edit / correction:  Actually, I CAN use the entire display on the large / secondary monitor.  It is just the wallpaper that stays the same size as on the main display.  This is annoying but not a deal breaker.

So, now the main problem is the secondary monitor being virtually off to my left instead of my right.

HP Recommended

Hi:

I doubt that updating the BIOS will make a difference, so that is up to you if you want to do that.

I imagine that if you remove the video card, the onboard graphics will automatically become enabled again, or you can set the BIOS settings to their defaults, save the settings and exit and the enable/disable video settings will show up again.

Since I have never used multiple monitors in my life, unfortunately I wouldn't be able to help you with getting them to work the way you need them to.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.