cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
gelidd
1 0 0 0
Message 1 of 2
Flag Post

Envy 750 Desktop CPU upgrade to Kaby Lake (7th gen)

HP Recommended
Envy 750

This is not really a question. I just want to share with the community what I did to upgrade an Envy 750 Desktop that officially only supported 6th gen CPUs. It has the Odense2-S motherboard, while those models in the same family (Envy 750-530, for example) that support 7th gen CPUs have the Odense2-K motherboard. I inspected the specs and pictures of these two motherboards, and I become convinced that they were identical except for the bios.

Obviously, HP bios upgrade exes check the model number and do not allow cross-flashing the bios within Windows. One can, however, use an external bios flasher (CH431A, for example) to achieve this deed. Check out the guides on Youtube on how to use a CH431A flasher (especially the ones using a clap to avoid desoldering the bios chip). All you need in addition is the extracted bin file from the HP bios upgrade exe for Odense2-K (again, check the download section of Envy 750-530).   

Tags (1)
1 REPLY 1
itsmyname
Level 8
1,913 1,900 74 203
Message 2 of 2
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Well done!  Very good "detective" work.

Was this reply helpful? Yes No
Warning Be alert for scammers posting fake support phone numbers and/or email addresses on the community. If you think you have received a fake HP Support message, please report it to us by clicking on "Flag Post".
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation