Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended
HP Pavilion Slimline 400-314
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Greetings to all! 

I am currently upgrading my network to gigabit speed. I would like to put an appropriate network card in this PC. I am trying to decide if this is a good idea or even feasible for this computer. I have upgraded my router and some network accessible drives, and cable MODEM so I'd like to get this PC's ethernet up to that speed as well.

This computer is stock off-the-shelf HP except the OS  has been upgraded from Win 8.1 to 10. It's sort of like a notebook in a desktop case, very compact.

Processor: AMD E1-2500

CPU speed 1.4 GHz

Ram: 4 GB

One PCI Express half-length mini card socket 

Power supply: external 65 W

Any thoughts or suggestions would be appreciated. 

Thanks.

The Dawntreader

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Hi:

The easiest thing to do IMO, would be to purchase an external USB to RJ-45 gigabit ethernet adapter.

Then you don't have to be concerned with compatiblity.

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6
HP Recommended

Hi:

The easiest thing to do IMO, would be to purchase an external USB to RJ-45 gigabit ethernet adapter.

Then you don't have to be concerned with compatiblity.

HP Recommended

Thanks Paul!   I will check it out.  I appreciate your help.  Keep going!

HP Recommended

You're very welcome.

HP Recommended

So, I still think Paul's solution is a fine one.  As I began to check it out, I also found that if one has only USB 2 available, the likelihood that they will achieve a full gigabit performance from the USB to RJ-45 Gigabit adapter will not be realized. I found articles suggesting maximum speeds of 300 to 400 megabit, which isn't too shabby. 

To obtain gigabit speed either a USB 3 card plus the USB to RJ-45 adapter would be necessary.  If you were going to that much work I would suggest just putting in a Gigabit ethernet card. 

For the Slimline 400-314 a 300 to 400 increase in speed would probably be sufficient. Otherwise, a PCIe card would work. This unit would require a half length mini PCIe card, which may be hard to find and or install.

In the final analysis, it all depends on what you need/want and whether or not  one is willing to do what it takes to achieve that outcome.

Once again, thanks for you good solution. I know a lot of users will benefit from it. I sure have.

Best Regards

HP Recommended

Ty will try coz actually my Lap run with a IMO at 100MB

HP Recommended

Ambrosfla,

I hope it works for you. Something to remember, however, is that just adding a gigabit PCIe card or a USB to RJ 45 ehternet adapter will not speed up you computer's access unless the network you are connecting to is operating at the higher (gigabit) speed.

Your routher and/or you modem must be capable of gigabit speed or the USB or PCI card will not enhance your speed.

In other words, USB adapters or PCI cards are to access the high speed network, not the other way around.

Hope that helps,

Have a good day!

Dawntreader

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.