Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended
Omen 880-170ng
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Hello there. Not sure I understand the configuration of my 880-170ng and the Tampa2 motherboard. I'm wondering if I still can expand the memory with a fast (2TB) PCIe M.2 memory, like the Samsung Evo 970. Is it possible to add an additional SSD and leave the existing 516 GB SSD untouched (I prefer not to mess with it, as I'm not used to do this kind of things) or should I upgrade the existing SSD in lack of an avaiblabe PCI slot for an additional one, if so? Any recommendation for a good compatible SSD? Would the Samsung Evo (plus) 970 fit? I noticed on the 'Crucial' website that they garantuee the compatibility of several products with the Omen series.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Hello

what is your goal, exactly the m2 is too small?

Your computer configuration 1 type M2 SSD and a sata HDD disk!

OMEN by HP 880-170ng Desktop PC Product Specifications

512 GB PCIe NVMe TLC M.2 Solid State

HDD

• Size: 2 TB
  • Interface: SATA
  • Rotational speed: 7200 rpm

Tampa2 motherboard specifications.

One M.2 socket 3, key M

You can only replace the M2 Disk if you want to reinstall Windows on it Otherwise, you have multiple locations and possibly install other HDD or SSD drives.

For compatibility in fact the crucial site normally allows not to be mistaken. That said I can not guarantee the compatibility of one SSD or another ..

Hard Drive/Solid-State Drive Replacement Instructions

--------------------------------------------- Signature ---------------------------------------------
was this reply helpful , or just say thank you ? Click on the yes button

Please remember to mark the answers this can help other users
please click on the accept as solution button if message provided an answer to the problem

Desktop-Knowledge-Base
Windows 11 22h2 inside , user

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
HP Recommended

Hello

what is your goal, exactly the m2 is too small?

Your computer configuration 1 type M2 SSD and a sata HDD disk!

OMEN by HP 880-170ng Desktop PC Product Specifications

512 GB PCIe NVMe TLC M.2 Solid State

HDD

• Size: 2 TB
  • Interface: SATA
  • Rotational speed: 7200 rpm

Tampa2 motherboard specifications.

One M.2 socket 3, key M

You can only replace the M2 Disk if you want to reinstall Windows on it Otherwise, you have multiple locations and possibly install other HDD or SSD drives.

For compatibility in fact the crucial site normally allows not to be mistaken. That said I can not guarantee the compatibility of one SSD or another ..

Hard Drive/Solid-State Drive Replacement Instructions

--------------------------------------------- Signature ---------------------------------------------
was this reply helpful , or just say thank you ? Click on the yes button

Please remember to mark the answers this can help other users
please click on the accept as solution button if message provided an answer to the problem

Desktop-Knowledge-Base
Windows 11 22h2 inside , user

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
HP Recommended

The goal is to add additional fast memory for photography and videography (no professional user). I'm using an external Samsung T5 (1TB) right now but with RAW files and high bit video footage the external HD is filling rapidly. The T5 allows me to have all my files with me when I'm on the go with my laptop. In stead of buying a bigger external SSD (e.g. T7, 2tb), I was wondering on upgrading the internal memory as this is still significantly faster than an external SSD (the connections are notthat fast). You're right that the Omen should have enough storage. It's more of a convenience issue to have all my files together on one drive (to sync easily with the Lightroom catalog) and not messing around between several drives and eventually cloud services like Dropbox. So, if I can easily add a second NVMe SSD, that would make things easy although no drama if not, then I stick with wath I have right now. It may make more sense to upgrade the whole PC within a few years instead of upgrading a little peace right now.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.