Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended
Envy TE-01
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

I have connected an older HP 2GB USB HDD (MD2000h). It shows on File Explorer as HDDs F: (CD Launcher) and G:.The F: partition shows as a CDFS device and clicking it just gives a pause but does nothing. The G: says nothing about its file system or capacity. When I try to read G:, I get an error message saying that I need to format the drive.

At this stage, I don't want to reformat as I can't remember if there is anything important on it.

Can anyone suggest how to get it back to NTFS so I can check what files are on it?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Hello
I have already tested this type of software, from memory, one had to be recuva
https://www.ccleaner.com/recuva
It may have changed since!
My problem was different because the hard drive had been erased by accident, but I had used multiple software because they don't always find the same thing ...
noted that it is advisable to have another external hard drive, to copy what is found ..

--------------------------------------------- Signature ---------------------------------------------
was this reply helpful , or just say thank you ? Click on the yes button

Please remember to mark the answers this can help other users
please click on the accept as solution button if message provided an answer to the problem

Desktop-Knowledge-Base
Windows 11 22h2 inside , user

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
HP Recommended

@itma , welcome to the Community.

Here is a software that will help you save any data that is on the hard drive: https://www.easeus.com/storage-media-recovery/flash-drive-shows-up-as-cd-drive.html

I have not used the software, but it appears to have a Trial version to see what it can do for you without buying it.  Read the information to see what you think.

I am not an HP Employee!!
Intelligence is God given. Wisdom is the sum of our mistakes!!
HP Recommended

Many thanks, Old_geekster. That recovery program shows I have over 1.3GB and counting on HDD. It first did a Quick Scan, the easy stuff, I presume, and is now working on finding the more difficult stuff which takes about 6 hours for a 2TB drive. The trial version of the software only tells you what is on the drive. You need to buy the package ($70) to activate recovery.

Now that I have seen the website you sent me to, I have a better idea what to put in a Google search. It looks like there are a number of packages to address this problem.

Once I see what is on the drive in its totality I'll report back on what, if anything, I am going to do about it.

HP Recommended

when I said I had at least 1.3GB of data, I should have said 1.3TB.

HP Recommended

Hello
I have already tested this type of software, from memory, one had to be recuva
https://www.ccleaner.com/recuva
It may have changed since!
My problem was different because the hard drive had been erased by accident, but I had used multiple software because they don't always find the same thing ...
noted that it is advisable to have another external hard drive, to copy what is found ..

--------------------------------------------- Signature ---------------------------------------------
was this reply helpful , or just say thank you ? Click on the yes button

Please remember to mark the answers this can help other users
please click on the accept as solution button if message provided an answer to the problem

Desktop-Knowledge-Base
Windows 11 22h2 inside , user

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
HP Recommended

Yes. I have a 4TB internal drive ready and waiting. That way, I can go over everything at leisure to keep what I want and throw out the rest. The recovery program is picking up a lot of previously deleted files. It is serendipity that some of those (the free version of the recovery program gives a limited review) are files I'm glad to see again.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.