Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended
HP Pavilion 500-242ea Desktop
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

The fan in my graphics card AMD Radeon R5 235 appears to have failed and I am having desperate trouble finding a  new replacement. Can anyone give me the name of an alternative compatible card  or upgrade that I can fit without having too much trouble

7 REPLIES 7
HP Recommended

Hi:

I recommend that you go with the slightly newer and better Nvidia GT1030 GPU.

Get the fanless model.  It will work with the 300W power supply your PC has.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/ASUS-GeForce-Profile-Graphics-Brackets/dp/B0716JTSRW/ref=sr_1_3?keywords=GT...

If you don't want to spend that much, you can go for the older, less powerful and less expensive fanless GT 710.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/ASUS-GT710-SL-2GD5-GeForce-GT-Graphics-Efficient/dp/B07489XSJP/ref=sr_1_1_s...

HP Recommended

Thank you Paul for your quick reply it is much appreciated.

If I may pick your superior brain and knowledge just a little more, I am going to run with theNvidia GT1030 GPU and as I will be installing it under Windows 10, will Windows 10 take care of the Driver installing for me or do I have to go through the hassle of uninstalling/installing of drivers to change out the AMD Radeon R5 235.

Finally as the GT 1030 runs GDDR5 as against the DDR3 on the Radeon R5-235, I'm assuming that there isn't a conflict with this.

Again Paul, thank you so much,

Regards Seamus.

HP Recommended

You're very welcome, Seamus.

You always want to uninstall the current graphics card, drivers and software before installing a new video card whenever possible.

Since the graphics card you have in there now is working, fortunately, you will be able to uninstall the card, the catalyst control center software and the driver.

The first thing to do is to uninstall the AMD catalyst control center in the windows control panel>programs>uninstall a program.  If there is any other AMD graphics related software listed there, uninstall that too.

Then go to the device manager, click to expand the Display Adapters device manager category, right click on the AMD graphics adapter listed there, select Uninstall and check the uninstall driver box.

Shut down, unplug the PC, install your Nvidia graphics card, turn it back on, and in a few minutes or less, after you are connected to the Internet, W10 will automatically install the graphics driver for it.

However, I recommend that you keep the driver updated by downloading the latest driver and GeForce Experience software for the 1030 at the link below after the card is installed and the default Windows Nvidia graphics driver has been installed.

https://www.nvidia.com/Download/driverResults.aspx/156780/en-us

The graphics memory is on the card.  GDDR5 is just faster memory than GDDR3, and there would be no hardware conflicts due to that.

HP Recommended

Your a Gentleman Paul,

Again thanks for your prompt reply and time,

Regards,

Seamus

HP Recommended

Anytime, Seamus.

Glad to have been of assistance.

Paul

HP Recommended

Hi again Paul, I’m back to haunt you.

My  ASUS GeForce GT 1030 arrives tomorrow and on re-reading your installation instructions a thought just struck me, the on-board graphics are by an AMD Radeon HD 7560D chipset. Just to be sure, I’m assuming, that, my uninstalling the AMD Catalyst Control Center and related drivers, to install the ASUS GeForce GT 1030 Card, will not be interfering with the on-board chipset. Please correct me if I’m wrong.

Again to pick your brains, I’ve been told that if I upgrade my PSU from 300watt to 500watt I can go about upgrading to a higher graphics card for better gaming. If this is the case can you please advise me on such a PSU unit suitable for my PC.

Thanks again in advance Paul, I promise I won’t pester you again, (well, not too much).

Best Regards,

Seamus

HP Recommended

Hi:

It won't interfere with the actual AMD chipset but you don't want the AMD graphics driver installed.

Unfortunately, I wouldn't be able to help you with upgrading the power supply, etc.

I only do upgrades with the stock power supply installed, so I have no idea what you need to do, and recommend you start a new topic on that subject.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.