Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Any failures related to Hotkey UWP service? Click here for tips.
HP Recommended
Linux

hi. Just upgraded my hp elite 300. I've installed a graphic card and changed the CPU. Is there a particular way that the CPU cooler should go? Eg, the copper pipe parts face side way.  I didn't make a note which way it was originally placed as I was having a problem with the graphic card. Which was resolved to a point.  When I turned on the computer just to see if it did anything , the fan went mad. Which brings me back to the CPU cooler, I wonder if it's that which is creating the fan to overboard. It maybe the graphic card. 

3 REPLIES 3
HP Recommended

I have never heard of an hp elite 300 desktop PC.  Perhaps it is an HP elite 8300 model series. If so, which specific one. They are not all created equally.

How about taking a second look at the tag and providing the product number or complete product name

"Is there a particular way that the CPU cooler should go?" 

No. Just install it in a direction that allows the fan connection to be easily made that does not interfere with anything else on the motherboard.

Which brings me back to the CPU cooler, I wonder if it's that which is creating the fan to overboard. It maybe the graphic card."

It would have helped if you provided the brand and model information of the graphics card. 

"the fan went mad."

Does the new video card have PCIe power connector plug requirements or a power requirement that the OEM PSU does not meet?

I am a volunteer forum member, not an HP employee. If my suggestion solved your issue, don't forget to mark that post as the accepted solution. If my post was helpful or you just want to say thanks, click on the Yes button next to the "was this reply helpful?"

HP Recommended

Thank you . Sorry my graphic card is an 1050 ti, the small long one with two small fans. The pc is a HP8300 elite sff. As I bought it off Amazon as a refurbished product, the only numbers I have are these:

bid 12 WwID HW6#SUBF#DABF

2U2V3E3Q3V3X4766676j6565b7H7W. Which are on the pc itself.

I'm thinking of changing the CPU cooler and heatsink now and as like you, I was wondering if the CPU cooler, the culprit to setting the fans going into overdrive after the third go. 

The current one I think could be replaced as it is old, given that the pc is 3rd generation. 

I suspect the current ones available for this type of pc will be a lot better!!

I'm hoping that the new cooler/heatsink will resolve the problem of the pc fans going into overdrive. Otherwise I'm not sure what to do next . So will see!

HP Recommended

Since it is a refurbished unit, you might consider taking a look to see if the BIOS can be updated.

Did the refurbisher do a good job of cleaning the fins and fan blades of the CPU cooler and  the fan blades on the videocard? 

Something is triggering the response to the temperature delta.

Enter the BIOS to ensure that "on all the time" is not the option selected for the processor cooling fan.

In the search I did there are some options for replacment fans

https://www.google.com/search?q=hp8300+elite+sff+cpu+fan+upgrade&rlz=1C1CHBF_enUS918US918&ei=NppzY7j...

I am a volunteer forum member, not an HP employee. If my suggestion solved your issue, don't forget to mark that post as the accepted solution. If my post was helpful or you just want to say thanks, click on the Yes button next to the "was this reply helpful?"

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.