Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended
HP Compaq Elite 8300 Base Model Small Form Factor PC
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

My desktop has taken to running the fan as soon as I connect to power but fan appears to stop when it is booted up.  When turned off by selecting 'Power -  shutdown' the fan springs to life again until power is switched off at the power point.  Is there a software fix or must I have the machine repaired?

Windows and all other software is fully up to date as are drivers.  CPU is i7 with 32 GB RAM and 1 TB HD

1 REPLY 1
HP Recommended

@Jackgeorge15,

Let's try to clean out your SFF desktop first -like what is done here [disconnect power first and then push the power on/off button to release any residual charge]: Cleanup Dust Vacuum HP Compaq 8200 Elite SFF Small Form Factor PC - YouTube.  

Next, gently pull out the CPU cooling fan shroud assembly (see pic) and disconnect the 4-pin CPU fan connector.  Inspect for loose wires or bent pin-prongs.  See if the fan spins freely and noiselessly.  Use compressed/canned 'air' to clean as well as you can.

NonSequitur777_0-1654220263606.png

Put your SFF together again, connect to power, and see if this will fix your issue.

Kind Regards,

NonSequitur777

See if this

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.