cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents and videos on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents and videos on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
The HP Calculator Community Message Board is moving. While we prepare for the move, we are unable to accept new postings. During the move, you can look for help from other users by visiting https://www.hpmuseum.org/ . Or if you need technical support for your calculator visit: HP Calculators. .
Barton4
1 0 0 0
Message 1 of 2
Flag Post

Solved!

File access for HP SimpleSave sd500a on Mac

HP Recommended
HP SampleSave sd500a
macOS 10.15 Catalina

I have an old HP SimpleSave sd500a that I used to back up my previous HP Probook. I've been using a macbook for years now and recently dug up the SimpleSave to look through some photos. When plugged into my mac, I can see the photos and files and open them, but I don't have the option to delete them from the drive. I managed to boot up my old HP laptop and can delete the files from there, so I checked to see if writing access was restricted to that laptop. Both my HP and macbook show read and write access available to everyone. Considering I don't expect my HP laptop to last much longer, I'm trying to find a way to have full control over the files on other devices. Any thoughts are greatly appreciated.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Dragon-Fur
Level 16
Level 16
34,499 26,045 3,183 10,042
Message 2 of 2
Flag Post
HP Recommended

@Barton4 

If you used SimpleSave software to back up the data, you must use the SimpleSave software to access the data.

Period.

Worse news:  The software is proprietary - that is, data is encrypted and locked to the software.

Can it get worse?

The drive is on borrowed time - these drives fail and / or the power supplies fail.

When the hardware fails, the data is essentially gone.

Solution:

Get the data off that disk while you can do so.

Thank you for participating in the HP Community.

The Community is a separate wing of the HP website - We are not a business group of HP..

Our Community is comprised of volunteers - people who own and use HP devices.

Click Thumbs Up to say Thank You.

Question Resolved / Answered, Click "Accept as Solution" .

Dragon-Fur

View solution in original post

Was this reply helpful? Yes No
1 REPLY 1
Dragon-Fur
Level 16
Level 16
34,499 26,045 3,183 10,042
Message 2 of 2
Flag Post
HP Recommended

@Barton4 

If you used SimpleSave software to back up the data, you must use the SimpleSave software to access the data.

Period.

Worse news:  The software is proprietary - that is, data is encrypted and locked to the software.

Can it get worse?

The drive is on borrowed time - these drives fail and / or the power supplies fail.

When the hardware fails, the data is essentially gone.

Solution:

Get the data off that disk while you can do so.

Thank you for participating in the HP Community.

The Community is a separate wing of the HP website - We are not a business group of HP..

Our Community is comprised of volunteers - people who own and use HP devices.

Click Thumbs Up to say Thank You.

Question Resolved / Answered, Click "Accept as Solution" .

Dragon-Fur

Was this reply helpful? Yes No
Warning Be alert for scammers posting fake support phone numbers and/or email addresses on the community. If you think you have received a fake HP Support message, please report it to us by clicking on "Flag Post".
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation