Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended
HP ENVY h8-1420t
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Hi. I was recently working on my computer when it just randomly turned off. My guess if that it's the CMOS battery because I bought this computer in 2011 (still works fine). I opend up the case to see what's going on but as of now when I press the power button, the CPU cooler and the rear fan to the GPU spin for a second then stop. I literally have no idea what might be happening and as I sad before reguarding my CMOS battery, I can't find it inside the computer. Does anybody know where the CMOS battery is so I can possibly save my sanity for once?

Thanks,

Clayton

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Hi, Clayton:

Below is a picture of the motherboard your PC has.

The CMOS battery (CR2032) is located immediately to the right of the uppermost black PCIe x1 slot located on the bottom left quarter of the picture.

Photograph of motherboard

View solution in original post

8 REPLIES 8
HP Recommended

Nevermind. I found it under my GPU. 

HP Recommended

Hi, Clayton:

Below is a picture of the motherboard your PC has.

The CMOS battery (CR2032) is located immediately to the right of the uppermost black PCIe x1 slot located on the bottom left quarter of the picture.

Photograph of motherboard

HP Recommended

I should also add that I left the battery out for a few minutes and put it back in. I got an improvement in what happens regaurding startup. All the fans will start spinning and the PSU and the LEDs in the case also light up. So my guess is that the battery is dead after 7 years of use.

HP Recommended

Yes, I would agree that the battery is no good anymore.

Hopefully, that is the only problem.

HP Recommended

Thanks

HP Recommended

You're very welcome.

HP Recommended

I'm finding that when I plug my graphics card back in that the computer won't start up. But when I unplug the graphics card, it turns on and gives me "ERROR: No boot disk has been detected or the disk has failed"

HP Recommended

If you can get into the BIOS with the graphics card removed, see if enabling legacy mode and disabling secure boot gets the PC to work again with the graphics card reinstalled.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.