Jeffsy017
3 1 0 0
Message 1 of 2
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Firmware upgrade - password file missing - Error code 259

HP Z6 G4
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Hi .... im hoping someone can help or maybe have an idea on my issue. 

I am currently upgrading the Firmware on a HP Z6 G4 as part of a SCCM Task Sequence.

The upgrade is happening during the WinPE stage at the very beginning of the build and runs the following command - HPBIOSUPDREC64.exe -s -ppw.bin -fP60_0167.bin -r

The upgrade fails with an error code 259. I believe this to be Password file not found.

When looking in the download directory that the files have been copied to the pw.bin file is missing. However upon recreating the issue i can see the file does get downloaded into the correct content location on the machine .....but is then removed after aprox 10 seconds.

Has anyone seen this issue ..... would the HPBIOSUPDREC64.exe remove the file? There isnt really anything else on the machine at this point that would randomly remove files (no AV etc). 

****Edit****

I have run an update on a Z620 and i can see that the same happens, the pw.bin file is removed during the process......but the upgrade continues.  So is this a timing issue .....is the Z6 G4 deleting the file too quickly .... if so is there a way around this ....maybe to pause the install for a few seconds....

Any help would be appreciated. 

Thanks 

1 REPLY 1
RamakantT
1 1 0 0
Message 2 of 2
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Firmware upgrade - password file missing - Error code 259

I am getting this issue on HP Z440 Workstation during BIOS upgrade step. Any help would be appreciated.

0 Kudos
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation