Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended
k3500
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

I'm trying to lock the Fn keys for my wireless keyboard without success. I have read quite a bit on this topic and non of the proposed solution are working for me.

Here is what I have tried:

1. Fn+Esc (Fn+any other Fkey)

2. BIOS - couldnt find any setting option that references the Fn keys

3. Install keyboard drivers (the computer sees it a plug and play device)

I have attached pictures of the keyboard in question.3

This a big deal for me so I would apreatiate if you could help me out.

Thx in advance

Vuk

IMG_20181127_140812907_HDR.jpgIMG_20181127_140824274_HDR.jpg

7 REPLIES 7
HP Recommended

@Byk

Welcome to HP Forums,

This is a great place to get support, find answers and tips,
Thank you for posting your query, I'll be more than glad to help you out 🙂

I see that you're experiencing wireless keyboard issue, 
please follow the instructions below until you can get the keyboard work again.  I appreciate your efforts to try and resolve the issue. Don't worry as I'll be glad to help, however, to provide an accurate resolution, I need a few more details:

• Have you performed Windows update on your PC?
  • When was the last time it worked fine?
  • Is it for a desktop computer or notebook pc?

While you respond to that, I recommend you to perform the following steps to isolate the issue and arrive at a fix:

Change the action key setting from the BIOS Setup Utility

1. Press and hold the power button for at least five seconds to turn off the computer.

2. Turn on the computer and immediately press the f10 key repeatedly to open the BIOS Setup Utility.

3. Press the right or left arrow key to select the System Configuration menu.

4. Press the up or down arrow key to select Action Keys Mode.

5. Press the Enter key to display the Enabled / Disabled menu.

BIOS setup window with the System Configuration option and Action Keys Mode selected

6. Press the up or down arrow key to select one of the options.

• Enabled: Does not require pressing fn to use the actions printed on the function keys.

For example, pressing f8 lowers the sound as printed on the key. Alternately, pressing both the fn + f8 minimizes and maximizes a web browser.

• Disabled: Requires pressing fn to use the actions printed on the function keys.

For example, pressing f1 opens a help window. Alternately, pressing both the fn + f1 keys puts the computer to sleep as printed on the key.

7. Press the f10 key to save the selection and restart the computer.

Hope this helps! Keep me posted for further assistance.

If I have helped you resolve the issue, feel free to give me a virtual high-five by clicking the 'Thumbs Up' icon below,

Followed by clicking on "Accept as solution" from the drop-down menu on the upper right corner,

Thank you for posting in the HP Support Forum.  Have a great day!

ECHO_LAKE
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Thx for taking an interest and trying to help resolve the issue.

As for the questiones you posed:

1. Windows is up to date UpdateHistory.PNG

2. I never could get Fn key to lock (used it as my secondary keyboard for the laptop, but since I like it so much it's become my primary for PC use, and the Fn key is buggung me more and more)

3. Using it for desktop PC

Here a couple pics form my BIOS interface:

IMG_20181128_171621931_HDR.jpgIMG_20181128_171753014_HDR.jpg

HP Recommended

@Byk
Thank you for posting back.

The bios utility image that was attached is not the correct bios windows.

Let's try this:

• Turn off the computer and wait five seconds.
  • Turn on the computer, and then immediately press the Esc key repeatedly until the Startup Menu opens.
  • Press F10 to open the BIOS Setup Utility.
  • Press the right or left arrow key to select the System Configuration menu.

• Press the up or down arrow key to select Action Keys Mode.

• Press the Enter key to display the Enabled / Disabled menu.

Hope this helps! Keep me posted for further assistance.

ECHO_LAKE
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

It is the only BIOS i utility I can access.

Pressing the ESC key on bootup has no effect.

HP Recommended

@Byk

It looks like you were interacting with @Echo_Lake, but he is out for the day & I'll be glad to help you out. 

I'm Raj1788 & I'm at your service. 

I have sent you a private message, to contact HP Phone support depending on the product that cannot be shared in a public post.

Can you please check your inbox on the forums page for the private message.

Have a great day!

Raj1788
I am an HP Employee 

HP Recommended

Ok, I made an account to help resolve an issue I'm facing on the company forum. HP representative responded a number of times, without success, which is fine, since not all problems can be resolved quickly (or ever). Now you are redirecting me to submit a case and call HP representative, when it's obvious information regarding the issue is clear for anyone who is willing to assist right here along with the history of attempted solutions? Since this is not the only forum I have come accros during my years of surfing the net, ratio of posts/likes/solutions have not given me much hope for solving the issue, and I would have accepted that there is no known soultion much better then the "go ask someone in my company the same question" much better.

fyi, I will not be creating any case via support, if anyone should come up with a solution and share on the forums, I would be greatfull, since i might be beneficial for someone in the future.

Such a shame that I we are wasting valuable time and resources on this...

HP Recommended

@Byk

I have sent you a private message, for the further course of action that cannot be shared in a public post.

Can you please check your inbox on the forums page for the private message.

Have a great day!

Raj1788
I am an HP Employee 

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.