Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Any failures related to Hotkey UWP service? Click here for tips.
HP Recommended
HP ENVY Desktop - TE01-1150xt CTO
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Hello,

I should like to apologize for what may be a little lengthy of an inquiry. I called HP on August 16 to discuss this issue, was directed to two different departments and received two different answers. I hope to get a more direct answer through email. The case number from the Aug.16 call is [Personal Information Removed].

I bought a new computer, an HP Envy Desktop - TE01-1150xt CTO. The Product Number is 8MP65AV and the Serial Number is [Personal Information Removed]. Some specs that may be worth mentioning are as follows:

• NVIDIA® GeForce® GTX 1660 (6 GB GDDR5 dedicated)
  • 1 TB Intel® SSD + 32 GB Intel® Optane™ memory
  • No Secondary storage
  • 32 GB DDR4-2933 SDRAM for i7
  • Intel® Core™ i7-10700 (2.9 GHz up to 4.8 GHz, 16 MB L3 cache, 8 cores)

I furthermore purchased an HP 3 years 3 day Onsite HW Support for Consumer Desktops.

On to my issue. It took me a couple of weeks to get this machine how I want it, and am still finding little tweaks here and there I need to perform. The lady with whom I spoke when buying the computer was kind enough, but I don’t think she explained some things very well to me before purchasing. (I would add that I do know computers and have been working on them since the late 1980s, yet there are some new things out there I’ve not had exposure to, as you shall see.) When customizing the computer, I chose the 1 TB + 32 GB Optane. Once I had my programs, files, photos, and music installed, I noticed I only had 775 GB of free space, whereas my previous computer, another HP Envy, had 1.6 TB left. (I needed to replace it because it was slowing down and beginning to overheat.) I started thinking about it, and thought I should gone without the Optane and with more memory (I am a teacher and working from home, where I am expected to videotape lectures, and videos can take up lots of space.) I did remember a problem when customizing the computer, so I returned to the site and customized it again to recall the problem.

Looking at it again right now, here is the problem. When I choose the 1 TB Intel® SSD + 32 GB Intel® Optane™ memory then tried to add either the 1 or 2 TB Secondary Storage, the page reads, “Selected Storage SSD not available with Secondary Storage HDD.” First, I wonder if this was by design? Can a second HD not be placed in the machine? Nor any kind of secondary storage?

I do not quite understand what the Intel Optane memory is, despite my reading on it. Does it interfere with installing a new HD or adding a secondary?

When I called on Aug. 16, I asked about swapping out the 1 TB HD for a 2 TB HD. I also said I didn’t want to lose my settings, having taken to long to get them in correctly. I had read about cloning the HD so that the new one would be a perfect replica of the old, and all my settings and preferences would remain. The fellow I talked to said HP could do that for a small fee, which I understood, even with the Care Pack purchase. He then transferred me to a different department with a different fellow who told me that HP could not do this, I would have to do it on my own, and that doing so would nullify my Care Pack.

I am asking what my options are, in addition to the questions above. Am I able to replace the 1 TB Intel® SSD + 32 GB Intel® Optane™ memory with a 2 TB HD? Doing so, how does it affect the Optane (for example, is the Optane part of the setup now, or does it connect with a cord of some sort? One of the new things I don’t quite get yet)? And if so, can HP do it, like the first fellow with whom I spoke, told me, or would I be on my own? Or, maybe a better route, am I not able, with my current setup, to have a secondary storage? Either internal or external? Is there room in the machine to place a secondary storage? Or would I have to look for an external device that I can run permanently? If so, what might you suggest?

I apologize for the load of questions, but this has been on my mind a few weeks now. I love the machine thus far, but I do need more space. I do hope you can answer my questions. I do have one last question: Which USB port is the USB-C?

Thank You Very Much,

William [Personal Information Removed]

[Personal Information Removed]

8 REPLIES 8
HP Recommended

@William_S1,

Optane explained and its interwoven software, what it is and how it works and the pitfall

Nice commentary. I did review a custom configuration, and was stopped at the secondary HD selection.   With your intense abilities, maybe I can FINALLY have some answers, and in the process, help you.

The TE01 is called a series.  Then comes individual models.  I created a cross reference of computer "series" to explain the various power supplies.  Here is the spreadsheet.    The TE01 were "Rother" boards.  Suddenly the "Baker" appeared.

You have a "Baker" motherboard:

1) NO one has ever seen that board. HP has not published any pictures.

2) The powered (PSU) supply is not known. I want to know what cables exist from the motherboard.   The listed PSU's all had a common thread.  Two 2x2 power blocks (black),  an inline 7 pin (white) that had either 3 or 5 wires. The 400W and 500W units have PCIe power cable(s). 

3) Rother motherboard: supplied the power for DVD (ODD) and HD via cables. Of course, there are SATA data headers.

Example of a Rother unit, the HP 795

Exploded view of the motherboard wiring of Rother board. Although this is an EOL (End of LIfe) article, it shows the Rotherboard cabling.   The DVD (ODD) and 1st HD are powered from a single cable.  If there were a 2nd and 3rd HD, another cable 2x3 header would supply power (cable not supplied).

4) Here is where hard drives are attached in the TE01 series.

So, If I knew the answers, I could offer some advice.

PS<> Hope I was short enough to keep your interest?

If you do send pictures, keep the orientation the same. Start full view, and work into 4 quadrant.  Blow-ups of a connector without a reference point is futile. Also would like a full view pic of the back side connectors.

This system is feedback driven thru Solution and Kudo flags. It's the only means of knowing if you have been served. Please click Accept as Solution, if your problem is solved. To say THANK YOU, press the "thumbs up symbol" to render a KUDO. You can render both Solution and KUDO..

HP Envy 8 5010 Tablet
(2) HP DV7t i7 3160QM 2.3Ghz 8GB
Printer -- HP OfficeJet Pro 8620 Legal
Custom Asus Z97D, I7-4790k, 16GB RAM, WIN10 Pro 64bit, ZOTAC GTX1080 AMP Extreme 3 fan 8GB RAM, 500GB SSD, Asus PB287 4k monitor, Rosewill Blackhawk case and 750W OCZ PSU.
HP Recommended

Thank you for your reply, Wb. I've read the first link you sent before. So, we still don't know if I can add a second internal HD? I do think there is an option for a permanent external, is there not? I would like to take photos of the motherboard, but I am kind of leery about taking it apart, thus may be nullifying my Care Pack. But yeah--stopped at the secondary HD selection, which I cannot understand. If you discover anything else out, please let me know. I will try and get some photos. I appreciate your time.

William

HP Recommended

@William_S1,

I only what you to slide off the side panel, and take the pictures.  NO removing of internal parts. Just tracking/tracing what wire bundles go where.  There should be a secondary SATA data header. The existing HD might have a spare power plug. It is all up to you to report back, so I can determine.

This system is feedback driven thru Solution and Kudo flags. It's the only means of knowing if you have been served. Please click Accept as Solution, if your problem is solved. To say THANK YOU, press the "thumbs up symbol" to render a KUDO. You can render both Solution and KUDO..

HP Envy 8 5010 Tablet
Custom Asus Z97D, I7-4790k, 16GB RAM, WIN10 Pro 64bit, ZOTAC GTX1080 AMP Extreme 3 fan 8GB RAM, 500GB SSD, Asus PB287 4k monitor, Rosewill Blackhawk case and 750W OCZ PSU.
HP Recommended

Wb,

Thank you again for you assistance. I'll try to get photos today or tomorrow. I've a ton of work to do today (housework as well as teaching work), and I usually take tech-free Sundays. It's good to disconnect from it all at least once a week. Keep an eye out, and I'll have some up by tomorrow, at least. Thank you! I appreciate you!

William

HP Recommended

Wb, Here are some photos. It was rather difficult to get my phone in to take them, and I don't know if they are what you want to see. If not, I may be able to try another way. Sorry for the delay in getting back. Thank you for your  help. If these photos don't suffice, let me know.20200902_155237.jpg20200902_155250.jpg20200902_155401.jpg20200902_155428.jpg

HP Recommended

Still nothing. They preview but won't show. Hmm . . . maybe give them time? I don't know. 

HP Recommended

Why will the photos not upload?

HP Recommended

@William_S1,

HP has review them first, there all here now.

HP Envy 8 5010 Tablet
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.