Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Are you having HotKey issues? Click here for tips and tricks.
HP Recommended
HP Pavilion 590-p0117cb
Microsoft Windows 11

I bought my system a couple years ago. The graphics card that is currently used in my system is integrated. I'm wanted to upgrade to a dedicated graphics card. I do know that I have an PCIe x16 graphics card (because that's what the HP website has told me), but I don't know much more than that and I don't want to choose the wrong graphics card. Is mine PCIe 3.0 x16 or is there something else? Can you help me find options for a graphics card that I can upgrade my system with? There's a lot I cannot do because of my current graphics situation.

Sincerely,
Allen Hoessli
5 REPLIES 5
HP Recommended

@hoessliallene,

Welcome to our HP User Forum!

Your HP Pavilion 590-P0117cb (5QA45AA), according to: HP Pavilion 590-p0117cb Product Specifications | HP® Customer Support, is fitted with a Lincs motherboard (SSID: 843B), and a 310-watt power supply.

There are power supply upgrades available if you want to go beyond the graphics card performance of a GTX 1650 card that only needs its power from the PCIe x16 slot and can be powered by your 310-watt power supply, such as this purchase example: Amazon.com: Gigabyte GeForce GTX 1650 D6 OC Low Profile 4G Graphics Card, Low Profile Design, 4GB 12....

The discrete (dedicated) graphics card goes here:

NonSequitur777_0-1676686365998.png

Look at the GTX 1650 graphics card performance online, and determine if it is adequate for your needs, or if you need more graphics card power. Because if you need higher GPU performance, you'll need to upgrade your power supply as well.  In that case, I can show you what power supply options are available to you.

Hope this was helpful.

Kind Regards,

NonSequitur777

HP Recommended

SO what are my options for upgrading my power supply? Can I swap out a power supply with no problems or are there settings I have to change in order to get my power supply to work with my current motherboard?

Sincerely,
Allen Hoessli
HP Recommended

@hoessliallene,

Your options for an upgraded power supply compatible with your Lincs motherboard, according to: https://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Desktop-Knowledge-Base/Power-Supply-Cross-Reference-for-specific-model..., are a 400-watt power supply (HP p/n: L04618-800) or a 500-watt power supply (HP p/n: L05757-800).  Both power supplies can be purchased online, such as via eBay.

But like I mentioned in my previous post, it depends what graphics card performance you are after -and what your budget allows.  If you want to keep your current 310-watt power supply, would a GTX 1650 low profile card or an RX 6400 low profile card be good enough for you?  Do you want to spend more and purchase a higher performance AMD RTX A2000, for example?  It's all up to you.

Kind Regards,

NonSequitur777

HP Recommended

My plan is to upgrade my computer to handle 3d modeling and animation with Blender. I'm not sure the low profile graphics card would help with that. I'm thinking maybe using a 500w power supply and a graphics card that can be supported by it. I'm also considering just building a new computer with more power in general. More memory capacity, more power supply wattage, more powerful graphics card, etc. What are your thoughts about all this?

Sincerely,
Allen Hoessli
HP Recommended

@hoessliallene,

This is all budget driven.  The advise you are seeking is probably a bit beyond the scope of this Forum -at least for me.

I can tell you this, though: if you are 3D modeling and animating purely as a hobby, I would recommend the Nvidia RTX A2000 6GB GDDR6, which can easily be powered with your existing 310-watt power supply and received favorable reviews.

Consider this review: https://www.theverge.com/2021/8/10/22618030/nvidia-rtx-a2000-gpu-workstation-specs-features-price (in more detail: https://architosh.com/2021/12/product-review-nvidia-rtx-a2000-gpu-for-workstations/2/).

Here is a purchase option: https://www.amazon.com/Computer-Upgrade-King-Professional-Graphics/dp/B0BG8Y3KCM/ref=sr_1_1?crid=1JA..., hopefully it comes with a low-profile bracket -you may want to touch base with the Seller first.

Kind Regards,

NonSequitur777

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.