Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended
Compaq 8000 Elite SFF
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Hello!
I got this HP Compaq 8000 Elite SFF computer the other day and Id like to know which GPU and how much RAM can I add to this?

It has 4GB RAM atm and no seperate GPU just the integrated one. And the processor isMy rig.jpg

19 REPLIES 19
HP Recommended

Hi:

A supported graphics card would be the AMD Radeon HD 6450 low profile.

Since it is an old card, you can probably find lots of them on eBay in used but tested and working condition.

Make sure you get the one with the low profile mounting bracket.

The Dell-branded video cards work fine.

The PC can take 4 x 4 GB of DDR3-10600 memory.

It is very hard to find the right memory that will work in that model.

I used this memory in my 8000 Elite CMT, and it works fine.

Patriot Signature 4 GB PC3-10600 (1333 MHz) DDR3 Desktop Memory PSD34G13332 at Amazon.com

HP Recommended

I asked from PC store and they said GT 710 would work also 🙂

HP Recommended

Being that you have a core 2 quad I wouldn't invest into anything more than a nvidia 1050ti. Thats pretty much where it will max out with the core 2 quad processor. Thats also if the HP model supports the v-bios of the card. Now it should support the 1050ti as long as you have windows 10 to bring the OS in compatibility with the v-bios. But if you have windows 7 it might not work.

the 1050ti will support DX11/12, and will work with vulcan.

i highly recommend vulcan if you are using a core 2 quad to optimize API processing.

1050ti’s come in slim (low profile) and standard slot pc’s. Have 4 GB GDDR RAM to get you over the hump for the higher tier games on low and medium settings.

link to low profile.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/MSI-Low-Profile-Graphics-Card-GEFORCE-GTX-1050-TI-4GT-LP-/255176677054?mkci...

HP Recommended

According to the pci-e 16 slot that is available for the HP elite 8000 sff. The 1050ti should infact work as long as you have windows 10.

windows 10 will auto detect the v-bios of the card and find the best compatibility for the HP’s bios and sync them. Where as in windows 7 there is no auto detect and bios updating as microsoft no longer supports windows 7 or os, drivers, and bios updates.

83B2568C-589C-4D74-BEF9-669F3F5AA40A.jpeg

HP Recommended

You're very welcome.

I tested a GT 1030 in my 8000 Elite CMT and was shocked it worked, because the PC has a legacy BIOS and does not support UEFI.

I didn't want to recommend anything newer than a Nvidia GT 610, but if you want to try with a GT 710, GT 1030, or GT 1050ti, that is up to you.

Do note that the PCIex 16 slot is only rated at 25W on the SFF, so I don't know what would happen if you toss in a GT1050ti, which draws 75W.  I don't think I would do it.

The GT 1030 draws 30 W, so maybe +5W over the specs wouldn't be too dangerous.

See the bottom of page 20 for the PCIe slot specs for the SFF.

HP Compaq 8000 Elite Series (bargainhardware.co.uk)

HP Recommended

Rule of thumb.

All pci-e 16 lanes in black (designating primary) are rated for 75watts.

All pcie-e 4 lanes and in white reversed (designated secondary)  are rated for 35watts.

HP elite 8000sff has a 75watt max capacity. 

please see attached pic.

D216B864-3104-49CB-860F-36641936153B.jpeg

HP Recommended

@OmenGamer79 

He has the SFF, not the CMT.

You posted the PCIe slot specs for the CMT.

You have to read the specs under each form factor category, vertically not horizontally.

Paul_Tikkanen_0-1634841793081.png

HP Recommended

Its been done over and over again on youtube.

https://youtu.be/ptE1Cj1JxQQ

HP Recommended

I know that, but I don't like to recommend upgrades that exceed the HP specs.

Also the PC in the video is a 6300 Pro SFF which is 3 model series newer that an 8000 Elite, and it has a UEFI BIOS and supports secure boot.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.