Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended
HP Omen 870-224
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)
I was wondering if it was possible to upgrade the graphics card from a Nvidia geforce GTX 1060 to a 1070, or 1080. Is it?
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Hi Alduin

You should be able to swap in a 1070 or 1080.

You have a 500 watt power supply. You should verify you have two supplemental six/eight pin PCIe connectors (my guess is yes since you now have a 1060). Verify the new card will fit. The 1060, 1070, and 1080 cards have similar dimensions.

You will have to prep the system by doing the following before you install the new card:

1. Enter the BIOS. Disable Secure Boot. Then enable Legacy Boot. Exit the BIOS and save changes. Enter the on screen four digit code to confirm this change.

2. Uninstall the current graphics driver.

You can now install the new graphics card.

Grzy

View solution in original post

10 REPLIES 10
HP Recommended

Hi Alduin

You should be able to swap in a 1070 or 1080.

You have a 500 watt power supply. You should verify you have two supplemental six/eight pin PCIe connectors (my guess is yes since you now have a 1060). Verify the new card will fit. The 1060, 1070, and 1080 cards have similar dimensions.

You will have to prep the system by doing the following before you install the new card:

1. Enter the BIOS. Disable Secure Boot. Then enable Legacy Boot. Exit the BIOS and save changes. Enter the on screen four digit code to confirm this change.

2. Uninstall the current graphics driver.

You can now install the new graphics card.

Grzy

HP Recommended
Thank you very much, but I forgot to mention something sorry. Its a discrete card its not the average 1060. It is still external though, its not an onboard card.
HP Recommended

Alduin

No problem.  Is the 1060 a dual slot card? Do you have room for a dual slot card?  The MB can support a dual slot card. I would expect the back I/O shield will also support a dual slot card.

Measure the length of the 1060 and check how much clearance you have beyond this card to any obstructions. The Nvidia 1060 to 1080 cards are usually around 11.5 inches to 12 inches in length.

This will tell you if a 1070 or 1080 will fit in your PC.

Grzy

HP Recommended
Alright thank you!
HP Recommended
I'll be sure to update this post.
HP Recommended

@Alduin,

I really hope you made a cardboard cutout for the length for any card.

My Zotac GTX 1080 Extreme 8GB triple fan card is 12.8 inches.

Your motherboard is only 9.4 inches.

This system is feedback driven thru Solution and Kudo flags. It's the only means of knowing if you have been served. Please click Accept as Solution, if your problem is solved. To say THANK YOU, press the "thumbs up symbol" to render a KUDO. You can render both Solution and KUDO..

HP Envy 8 5010 Tablet
(2) HP DV7t i7 3160QM 2.3Ghz 8GB
Printer -- HP OfficeJet Pro 8620 Legal
Custom Asus Z97D, I7-4790k, 16GB RAM, WIN10 Pro 64bit, ZOTAC GTX1080 AMP Extreme 3 fan 8GB RAM, 500GB SSD, Asus PB287 4k monitor, Rosewill Blackhawk case and 750W OCZ PSU.
HP Recommended
Don't worry, before making a purchase I will make sure it will work. And if anything goes wrong I will return the gpu. Thanks for the support! 👍
HP Recommended

Hi Alduin

The new card will work if it fits in your HP chassis.

Grzy

HP Recommended

Can I put a gpu that is longer than the motherboard in my hp Omen 870-224? Like 10.5 or 11 inches?

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.