Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended
pavillion 570-p075na
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Hi I am looking to upgrade my current graphics card (R5 435). I'm fairly tech savy and have rebuilt PC's before. The thing is I have never seen a graphics card like the one in now, very small and thin. It conects to the PCI slot but has no output ports on it. Only the ones on the mobo. I have tried to find the same type of card in a GTX 1060 but all the cards are regular sized cards with there own ports. 

The problem is looking at the size of the cards, even the mini ones they all look to big to put in the case without hitting the front audio and front USB cables. Nearly all the cards seem much wider than the card that is in. 

Has anyone upgraded their card and which one did you use?

Thanks.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

@sniffer6,

My most humbled apology.  Strange card.  It is an IGP card (only draws 30W), running as an integrated chip, not as a dedicated GPU card. That does explain the unique "non external video ports" for the physical card. If you pull the card, it can not display video.  It needs some form of video card on the PCIEx16 slot.

Collectively, the forum members have been recommending mini cards that would not impact the power plug. No one has reported back other issues.

This system is feedback driven thru Solution and Kudo flags. It's the only means of knowing if you have been served. Please click Accept as Solution, if your problem is solved. To say THANK YOU, press the "thumbs up symbol" to render a KUDO. You can render both Solution and KUDO..

HP Envy 8 5010 Tablet
(2) HP DV7t i7 3160QM 2.3Ghz 8GB
Printer -- HP OfficeJet Pro 8620 Legal
Custom Asus Z97D, I7-4790k, 16GB RAM, WIN10 Pro 64bit, ZOTAC GTX1080 AMP Extreme 3 fan 8GB RAM, 500GB SSD, Asus PB287 4k monitor, Rosewill Blackhawk case and 750W OCZ PSU.

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
HP Recommended

@sniffer6,

Is this a test? 

The AMD r5 435 card as several external video ports. Example r5 430

You have a HP Lubin motherboard.  Lengthy dual slot (wide cards) can be too long, slamming into the 24 pin Main ATX power plug.  Also, the meager 180W PSU in 570 would have to be upgraded to handle the power required of the added 120W of the GTX 1060 (suggest a mini GTX1060  6.85 " long) but you still need to measure the distance from the back rail to the Main ATX plug wiring.  As for the PSU, the Corsair CX500 is an excellent fit.

This system is feedback driven thru Solution and Kudo flags. It's the only means of knowing if you have been served. Please click Accept as Solution, if your problem is solved. To say THANK YOU, press the "thumbs up symbol" to render a KUDO. You can render both Solution and KUDO..

HP Envy 8 5010 Tablet
Custom Asus Z97D, I7-4790k, 16GB RAM, WIN10 Pro 64bit, ZOTAC GTX1080 AMP Extreme 3 fan 8GB RAM, 500GB SSD, Asus PB287 4k monitor, Rosewill Blackhawk case and 750W OCZ PSU.
HP Recommended

Hi, No there is no test here! I was just looking for some advice. 

IMG_4365.JPG

As you can see in the picture the card has no display ports. It is only about 4" long and doesnt even take up all the PCI slot. I did say I hadnt seen this type of card before and could not seem to find one on any site. Thank you for the comment about the power and I was aware of that but wondered if this type of card had a lower power drain than a standard card. As for a mini card impacting on the internal ATX plug I think it would be fine. My main issue was that a double width card looks like it could inpact the  audio wiring inside the case. Just wondered if anyone had done an upgrade on this PC.  

HP Recommended

@sniffer6,

My most humbled apology.  Strange card.  It is an IGP card (only draws 30W), running as an integrated chip, not as a dedicated GPU card. That does explain the unique "non external video ports" for the physical card. If you pull the card, it can not display video.  It needs some form of video card on the PCIEx16 slot.

Collectively, the forum members have been recommending mini cards that would not impact the power plug. No one has reported back other issues.

HP Envy 8 5010 Tablet
HP Recommended

Thank you for all the info. It definately is a strange setup. HP say it is a dedicated "discrete" card. There is not a great deal of information on discrete cards but both AMD and nvidia make them although you dont seem to be able to buy them anywhere. I'm guessing they are only sold to PC manufactures like HP. 

The R5 435 card has 2GB GDDR5 dedicated memory and the PC has up to 7.9GB shared GPU memory through Intel HD 630. I have done a couple of little tests to see how it all works. The pc WILL run without the R5 card in and I can do most things including having multiple youtube videos open and play a couple of games I have on the pc using the HD 630 onboard graphics. With the R5 card in, the system/software seems to decide which applications need the R5 card. Adobe Lightroom CC and Affinity photo only use the HD 630 and actualy crash if you try and force them to use the R5. Photoshop CC on the other hand uses the R5 card. Age of Empires (classic game!) is a strange one. While playing the game with the performance monitor open shows the system using both GPU's equaly at about 15 - 20% each.  Why use both at such a low % baffles me. If I can get hold of a GTX 1060 discete card I'm laughing but if not I think I'm stuck with what I have. 

Thanks for taking the time to respond to my questions. Every little help.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.