Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Any failures related to Hotkey UWP service? Click here for tips.
HP Recommended
HP Pavilion 550-222ur T1H38EA
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Hello!

I have recently purchased an HP Pavilion 550-222ur and found out that the default graphics card (GeForce GT 730) is underperforming in most games. So I  want to get a more powerful one (was thinking GeForce GTX 750 Ti or Asus GeForce GTX 950 mini). While researching the upgrade possibility, I found out that some graphics cards fail to function on HP-branded PCs due to some BIOS issue. So the question is: will the graphics cards mentioned in this post work? And if those cards are compatible, I will have to get a better PSU as well, right? Thanks in advance.

Providing specifications of my PC for reference purposes: http://support.hp.com/gb-en/product/HP-Pavilion-550-200-Desktop-PC-series/9259612/model/9764558/docu...

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

@Rilarn wrote:

So basicaly I am stuck with a PC with pretty good processor and an outdated graphics card but there's nothing I can do about it? Or is there? Either way, serves me right for listening to sales staff in the shop and not doing my research beforehand. Thanks.

@Rilarn

No. You can upgrade it.

The ASUS GEFORCE® GTX 950 Mini  would be a good candidate for upgrade.  You can use PCIe x16 cards that are UEFI based because your PC is  post 2012. It does not have a legacy BIOS.  You will need to disable the secure boot function in BIOS. 

You can upgrade the  graphics card and PSU to end up with a decent gaming machine, if that is your goal.

Be aware that it won't compete with machines that are DIY built by enthusiasts or gaming machines manufactured by the top PC companies.

I am a volunteer forum member, not an HP employee. If my suggestion solved your issue, don't forget to mark that post as the accepted solution. If my post was helpful or you just want to say thanks, click on the Yes button next to the "was this reply helpful?"

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
HP Recommended

GeForce GTX 750 Ti or Asus GeForce GTX 950 mini are not viable for your specific desktop PC.

The internal 180W PSU, as shown in the specs that you graciously provided a link to,  is a definite showstopper.

Your PC is, unfortunately, not what one would call a good upgrade candidate as HP did not state which case format it has. I will ask HP about it.

I am a volunteer forum member, not an HP employee. If my suggestion solved your issue, don't forget to mark that post as the accepted solution. If my post was helpful or you just want to say thanks, click on the Yes button next to the "was this reply helpful?"

HP Recommended

Well, if the problem lies in the power supply unit, would replacing it as well solve it? Or is there more to it? By the way, here are the case specifications (forgot to mention them in the first place): 37*17*38 cm (Height*Width*Depth).

HP Recommended

An Hp employee has verified it as being an ATX format PSU.

By fixing it, do you mean the integrated graphics?  That is not very likely.

HP Recommended

So basicaly I am stuck with a PC with pretty good processor and an outdated graphics card but there's nothing I can do about it? Or is there? Either way, serves me right for listening to sales staff in the shop and not doing my research beforehand. Thanks.

HP Recommended

@Rilarn wrote:

@Rilarn

No. You can upgrade it.

The ASUS GEFORCE® GTX 950 Mini  would be a good candidate for upgrade.  You can use PCIe x16 cards that are UEFI based because your PC is  post 2012. It does not have a legacy BIOS.  You will need to disable the secure boot function in BIOS. 

You can upgrade the  graphics card and PSU to end up with a decent gaming machine, if that is your goal.

Be aware that it won't compete with machines that are DIY built by enthusiasts or gaming machines manufactured by the top PC companies.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.