Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Any failures related to Hotkey UWP service? Click here for tips.
HP Recommended
HP Envy 700-305no desktop pc
Microsoft Windows 8.1 (64-bit)

Hello

The pc comes with a hybrid harddrive with 16 GB express cache, and some say, that I am therefore not able to install SSD.

The wish for SSD comes from the upcoming Win 10 which I would like to install on SSD alongside most used applications i.e. Office and such.

I've been in contact with HP, but they seem to be unable to clarify the how-to issue. Strange when you consider that they sell these pc's for a living.

As I am quite new to SSD, I would warmly welcome a guide with at step-by-step for dummies on how to install SSD and new os on this particular machine.

Also a list of must have's would be nice (cables, rack and ...) along with a description of where on the motherboard, the drive is to be connected.

Finally any tip will probably be needed - I read somewhere, that you have to disable the original hard drive to install SSD, and somewhere else that the boot sequence needs to be changed. Others again says that the SSD will not be automatically recognized, and some say that I need to recover the pc to install SSD.

All these statements leave me a little confused and with many more questions, for example what will happen with the old Win 8.1 on the C-drive, if I install a Win 10 on SSD?

Wow - this was a lot to ask, but I hope someone is able to help me out, and I send you all at great thanks in advance

Kindly

nksdk

Denmark

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Hi,

There is a lot of confusion and frustration with using technology.  Those two words are very common on many forums.

I would suggest that you Google "SSD installaton guide" and you should find ample general documentation.

Installation of a 2.5" SSD will require a special mounting kit for your PC..  HP should have what you need. Please review this thread.

Frankly,  you are not going to gain that much in performance by using a SSD verses your exisiting configuration.

HP ENVY 6055, HP Deskjet 1112
HP Envy 17", i7-8550u,16GB, 512GB NVMe, 4K screen, Windows 11 x64
Custom PC - Z690, i9-12900K, 32GB DDR5 5600, dual 512 GB NVMe, gen4 2 TB m.2 SSD, 4K screen, OC'd to 5 Ghz, NVIDIA 3080 10GB

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
HP Recommended

Hi,

There is a lot of confusion and frustration with using technology.  Those two words are very common on many forums.

I would suggest that you Google "SSD installaton guide" and you should find ample general documentation.

Installation of a 2.5" SSD will require a special mounting kit for your PC..  HP should have what you need. Please review this thread.

Frankly,  you are not going to gain that much in performance by using a SSD verses your exisiting configuration.

HP ENVY 6055, HP Deskjet 1112
HP Envy 17", i7-8550u,16GB, 512GB NVMe, 4K screen, Windows 11 x64
Custom PC - Z690, i9-12900K, 32GB DDR5 5600, dual 512 GB NVMe, gen4 2 TB m.2 SSD, 4K screen, OC'd to 5 Ghz, NVIDIA 3080 10GB
HP Recommended

Hi Dave

Thanks for the input - that was a nice step ahead       ...I'll just let my inquiry be open a little longer to see if anyone has had hands on experience with installing on a pc such as mine.

Thanks also for the link - very useful

/nksdk

HP Recommended

I was able to install a SFF SSD drive into my HP ProDesk 600 using these screws from eBay: http://www.ebay.com/itm/SSD-BLACK-ISOLATION-MOUNTING-SCREWS-M3-for-HP-/191851923033

Now I have both my 2.5" SSD drive and the factory 3.5" drive in my computer where they belong.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.