Message 1 of 4
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Solved!

HDD Capacity

h8-1360t
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Hi and good morning,

Please, I need some help with the following.

What is the maximum capacity for the  main HDD I can install in my pc and also the max for a second drive ???

is it possible to install a WD 6TB WD6001FZWX ???

System Board

Manufacturer PEGATRON CORPORATION

Product 2AD5

Chipset Intel PCH Z75

Many thanks

3 REPLIES 3
Provost Provost
Provost
16063 16007 1490 3561
Message 2 of 4
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Solved!

HDD Capacity

@couskae

Your motherboard ha 4 SATA-III connectors, so you would have no problems using a 6TB drive (or even larger).

Howewever ... to use the whole drive in one partition, you would have to format it GPT -- and if your current drive is formatted MBR (which is most likely the case), that means you will not be able to clone the existing drive onto the new one because cloning retains the existing formatting scheme.

Good Luck

***If my post helped, click the White thumbs-up symbol to say thanks***

***Please mark Accept As Solution if my post solved your problem***

I am a volunteer and I do not work for, nor represent, HP
Intern
Intern
28 17 1 0
Message 3 of 4
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Solved!

HDD Capacity

Hi,
Thanks so much for your feedback, this does clear up my doubts. I take it installing also a second 6 TB HDD would not be an issue either ???

Just FYI, as you mentioned, there are 4 SATA-III connections which 2 are connected to my Optical drives leaving only the other 2 for HDD.

Please correct me if am wrong, preparing the drive as a GPT, using the Diskpart function to get the full HDD capacity should not be an Issue ????

Thanks again, I appreciate your kind help

0 Kudos
Provost Provost
Provost
16063 16007 1490 3561
Message 4 of 4
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Solved!

HDD Capacity

@couskae

The short answer is no -- that should not be an issue.

But generally, I AVOID recommending Diskpart to folks for the simple reason that it will do exactly what you tell it to do -- if it can.  This can be devastating to someone who mistakenly enters the wrong disk number -- as unlike with a GUI interface, it will not give you the "Are you sure"? opportunity to correct any mistakes before it runs.

But if you are confident using it, then go ahead.

Good Luck

***If my post helped, click the White thumbs-up symbol to say thanks***

***Please mark Accept As Solution if my post solved your problem***

I am a volunteer and I do not work for, nor represent, HP
0 Kudos
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation