Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended
Omen 25L GT12-0045na
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

I'm looking to buy a 2nd internal HDD for my desktop. I'm planning on buying an equivalent 1TB 7,200 RPM HDD to put into the secondary slot at the front of the machine. My questions:

1) Can the slot hold a 3.5" HDD?

2) Do I need to buy 4 X mounting screws, or will the black removable mounting bracket inside the slot hold the HDD in place?

Rgds,

Joe.

4 REPLIES 4
HP Recommended

I looked at: OMEN 25L GT12-0045na Desktop PC Product Specifications | HP® Customer Support

but I did not see anything about the specifications for the case's drive-bays.

But, that web-page does state that: 256 GB PCIe NVMe M.2 Solid State is an option.

So, you could purchase this, and "clone" your current disk-drive onto it, and boot from it.

That will speed-up your computer!

Then, your current disk-drive, however it is attached, can be "repurposed" or replaced.

HP Recommended

Hi,

thanks for checking, but no, that doesn't really help. I need to know about the spare drive bay for an internal storage expansion. The M.2 slot is already in use with 256 GB for the OS.

Rgds,

Joe.

HP Recommended

My disadvantage is that I cannot view your computer case's drive-bays nor the leads from the power-supply.

Do you have an "empty" drive-bay where the optional CD/DVD device would go?

That bay probably is 5.25 inches wide. So, you would need a "tray" of that width to hold a 3.5-inch disk-drive.

Does your motherboard have an unused SATA socket, available to be used by a CD/DVD or an additional disk-drive?

Does your power-supply have an unused SATA-power connector that is long-enough to reach the desired placement of the CD/DVD/HDD device?

Does your motherboard have an eSATA connector on the back-plane? If so, you could use an eSATA cable to connect to an external disk-drive. Such an eSATA connection should operate the external disk-drive as fast as if an additional internal HDD was used.

HP Recommended

The current HDD is at the front of the PC on its side in the first photo. It is held in place by a bracket. Now, is that 3.5" or 2.5"? Secondly, as you'll see from the 2nd photo showing the empty slot below it, I noticed 4 x small pins (NOT threaded mounting screws) around the plastic mount. Will they work to hold in a new HDD, or are they just stoppers put there for show?

Many thanks,

Joe.

Current HDD.jpgSpare slot.jpg

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.