Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended
HP 24-xa0181na
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Please allow for my lack of knowledge, it's why I am here asking for help. I have added specifications below.

I have the above machine, it's a good machine but I recently bought a game capture card that brings across 1080p video for me to edit in Corel Video Studio 2020. I think I have discovered that my machine isn't good enough to process this higher quality video.

I think I am at the point where I need to work out if upgrading is practical and cost effective against buying a new machine which I was hoping not to do.

Video Studio comes with a 'proxy file' option that reduces the resources the data that needs processing and I use it, I have also tried setting the Windows Page File as suggested by others but my performance gain improves the situation, but doesn't solve it.

I have loaded a video in the software and run the timeline (played the video in effect) and using the Windows Task Manager I am seeing the internal storage graph taking one hell of a hit, often hitting 90% and the video runs slow and jumps. The CPU was peaking around 20%, the GPU was peaking around 5%, Memory is 58% and the HDD was all over the shop often hitting 100% and constantly sitting above 75%. Looking at the Resource Monitor it appears that the read/write values are excessive too, I mention it because it was suggested I check them, not that I understand them, sorry.

PC World have suggested (with caveats) that swapping the HDD for SSD will make a big difference, as would adding RAM. What concerns me is that if the blockage is the HDD then potentially doubling the storage and greatly increasing read/write speeds could reveal a blockage further upstream, in the GPU, RAM and CPU perhaps. Is my concern valid and very likely?

My challenge is that buying a new machine effectively forces me to write off the £600 spent on a perfectly good machine 18 months back, for something that is basically a hobby. Spending £300 upgrading memory and storage makes sense because the original investment isn't wasted; assuming it solves my problem. If I need a CPU upgrade then I may need to think a lot harder and either do nothing or buy a new machine.

I suppose what I'm asking is the following;

1. Would upgrading the 1TB HDD to either a 1TB or a 2TB SSD solve the issue like it's been suggested, or perhaps only part solve it?

2. Would doubling the RAM to 16GB be a significant help?  Would keeping the memory installed and buying a second (perhaps a different product) cause an issue worth avoiding and therefore making sure both are identical 8GB products?

3. Does the current CPU meets the Video Studio requirements (Core i3 or AMD A4 series for standard videos. Intel Core i7 or AMD Athlon A10 for HD and UHD videos)?

4. Video Studio requires 512 MB VRAM in respect of the graphics card, would I be right thinking this machine meets this spec?

Many thanks in advance.

============================================================================================

Product name: HP Pavilion All-in-One - 24-xa0181na

Product number: 4ZJ74EA #ABU

Motherboard: Centrix

Memory & Storage: 8 GB memory; 1 TB HDD storage

Memory: 8 GB DDR4-2666 SDRAM (1 x 8 GB)

Internal Storage: 1 TB 7200 rpm SATA

Processor: AMD Ryzen™ 5 2600H (3.25 GHz base frequency, up to 3.6 GHz burst frequency, 4 MB cache, 4 cores)

Graphics: Integrated

Graphics card: AMD Radeon™ Vega 8 Graphics

Expansion slots: M.2 socket 3, 2280 type for SSD
M.2 socket 1, 2230 type for WLAN

Corel Video Studio 2020 System Requirements

• Processor: Core i3 or AMD A4 series for standard videos. Intel Core i7 or AMD Athlon A10 for HD and UHD videos
  • RAM: 4 GB or higher, 8+ GB highly recommended for HD and UHD videos
  • Graphics Card: Minimum display resolution: 1024 x 768, minimum 512 MB VRAM or higher recommended for hardware acceleration
  • Hard drive space: Minimum 6 GB for full installation

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

@Tim631 , welcome to the Community.

I commend you on a well-written request for help.  You didn't, as we would say in the US, leave any stone un-turned! 😉

I will do my best to answer your questions using the information that I have available to to me.  It states in the specifications for your computer that it is for "Daily use".  This means that it will not normal perform well when attempting to use it for more difficult tasks, such as, video rendering.  However, I will give you my opinions on the questions that you have asked.

Q:  1. Would upgrading the 1TB HDD to either a 1TB or a 2TB SSD solve the issue like it's been suggested, or perhaps only part solve it?  A M.2, SSD, would definitely make a major difference in system performance.  Would it solve your problem? --I believe that it would be a good start to solving it.  It states in the specifications that there are two M.2 sockets on the motherboard: One M.2 socket 1, 2230 type for WLAN and One M.2 socket 3, 2280 type for SSD.  Here is the memory and M.2's recommended by Crucial Memory: https://www.crucial.com/compatible-upgrade-for/hp---compaq/pavilion-24-xa0181na-all-in-one

Q:  2. Would doubling the RAM to 16GB be a significant help? Would keeping the memory installed and buying a second (perhaps a different product) cause an issue worth avoiding and therefore making sure both are identical 8GB products?  Again, it would certainly help!  You should look at the memory recommended by Crucial.  It is best to upgrade using matched pairs because the motherboard has "Dual channel memory architecture".  Using matched pairs will allow for the best performance and eliminate any possibility of conflicts.  It may be necessary to replace the existing memory.  You can ask Crucial's Tech Support for help with this question.  I suggest using CPU-Z to get the manufacturer and timings of the existing memory: https://download.cnet.com/CPU-Z/3000-2086_4-10050423.html

This information will be in the Tab titled "SPD".

Q:  3. Does the current CPU meets the Video Studio requirements (Core i3 or AMD A4 series for standard videos. Intel Core i7 or AMD Athlon A10 for HD and UHD videos)?  Yes, it should be good.

Q:  4. Video Studio requires 512 MB VRAM in respect of the graphics card, would I be right thinking this machine meets this spec?  The Integrated Video shares the system memory.  Therefore, I am certain that it will be far more than 512 MB VRAM, although I can't find this information in any of the specifications on AMD's or HP's websites.

The resolution of your monitor is 1920x1080.  This is plenty for the app.  The Integrated Video is capable of resolutions up to 4096x2160 @60Hz.

This should give you a good base for more investigation.  Crucial guarantees their products to work if they recommend them.

Please click the Thumbs up + button if I have helped you and click Accept as Solution if your problem is solved.

I am not an HP Employee!!
Intelligence is God given. Wisdom is the sum of our mistakes!!

View solution in original post

9 REPLIES 9
HP Recommended

@Tim631 , welcome to the Community.

I commend you on a well-written request for help.  You didn't, as we would say in the US, leave any stone un-turned! 😉

I will do my best to answer your questions using the information that I have available to to me.  It states in the specifications for your computer that it is for "Daily use".  This means that it will not normal perform well when attempting to use it for more difficult tasks, such as, video rendering.  However, I will give you my opinions on the questions that you have asked.

Q:  1. Would upgrading the 1TB HDD to either a 1TB or a 2TB SSD solve the issue like it's been suggested, or perhaps only part solve it?  A M.2, SSD, would definitely make a major difference in system performance.  Would it solve your problem? --I believe that it would be a good start to solving it.  It states in the specifications that there are two M.2 sockets on the motherboard: One M.2 socket 1, 2230 type for WLAN and One M.2 socket 3, 2280 type for SSD.  Here is the memory and M.2's recommended by Crucial Memory: https://www.crucial.com/compatible-upgrade-for/hp---compaq/pavilion-24-xa0181na-all-in-one

Q:  2. Would doubling the RAM to 16GB be a significant help? Would keeping the memory installed and buying a second (perhaps a different product) cause an issue worth avoiding and therefore making sure both are identical 8GB products?  Again, it would certainly help!  You should look at the memory recommended by Crucial.  It is best to upgrade using matched pairs because the motherboard has "Dual channel memory architecture".  Using matched pairs will allow for the best performance and eliminate any possibility of conflicts.  It may be necessary to replace the existing memory.  You can ask Crucial's Tech Support for help with this question.  I suggest using CPU-Z to get the manufacturer and timings of the existing memory: https://download.cnet.com/CPU-Z/3000-2086_4-10050423.html

This information will be in the Tab titled "SPD".

Q:  3. Does the current CPU meets the Video Studio requirements (Core i3 or AMD A4 series for standard videos. Intel Core i7 or AMD Athlon A10 for HD and UHD videos)?  Yes, it should be good.

Q:  4. Video Studio requires 512 MB VRAM in respect of the graphics card, would I be right thinking this machine meets this spec?  The Integrated Video shares the system memory.  Therefore, I am certain that it will be far more than 512 MB VRAM, although I can't find this information in any of the specifications on AMD's or HP's websites.

The resolution of your monitor is 1920x1080.  This is plenty for the app.  The Integrated Video is capable of resolutions up to 4096x2160 @60Hz.

This should give you a good base for more investigation.  Crucial guarantees their products to work if they recommend them.

Please click the Thumbs up + button if I have helped you and click Accept as Solution if your problem is solved.

HP Recommended

Old_Geekster,

Thanks for the prompt reply, your opinion has been extremely helpful and I think I understand far more than I expected to!

Could you could answer a follow up question please? 

Given the SSD can go in the M2, does this mean that the HDD could stay and become secondary storage drive?

Many thanks and best wishes,

HP Recommended

You are very welcome, @Tim631!  I am glad that you found the information helpful  I try to make the Community a place for learning, as well as, for solving problems.  We need a lot of good volunteers!  😉

Q:  Given the SSD can go in the M2, does this mean that the HDD could stay and become secondary storage drive?

A:  Yes, it can be used as storage or a backup drive if you have problems with the M.2 in the future.  It will still have the OS on it.  Here is a HP Knowledge Base article that will explain how to transition from the HDD to the M.2.  Read it carefully and you should have no problems.  There are numerous FREE apps online to help you clone the HDD.  Run a search for the best cloning software and see how many are found.

If you have more questions, let me know.

Good luck!

HP Recommended

Old_geekster,

I really appreciate your time and expertise, many thanks.

Will I need to buy a fixing kit to connect and secure the SSD to the M.2 socket and/or motherboard?

Best wishes,

HP Recommended

@Tim631 

It is my pleasure!

No, the M.2 should simply install in the socket without any other parts.  Here is a guide that should help you.  If your socket looks different, let me know.

HP Recommended

old_geekster,

Thanks again for your help, my knowledge on this subject is vastly improved and my order is in and I'm awaiting delivery.

By the way, you suggested I download CPU-Z, I have, and it was very useful indeed. The memory size for the integrated AMD Radeon Vega 8 Graphics is 1GB; well above the minimum requirement for the VideoStudio 2020 app. just like you suggested it would be.

Best wishes.

HP Recommended

You are very welcome, @Tim631!

I am glad that the information helped you.  I try to make the Community a place to learn, as well as, solve problems.

Please let me know how things work out.

HP Recommended

@Old_geekster,

Just wanted to let you know I've received and installed the memory and SSD. The lack of a screw for the M.2 post in the motherboard was my only set back, luckily I could take the one holding the wifi card in as I'm on a LAN. 

I succesfully did a clone from the HHD to SSD and the OS runs really fast in comparison. 

Couldn't have done it without you. Thanks. 

HP Recommended

You are very welcome!  I am glad that it worked out so well for you.  I knew you would be pleased with the speed of the M.2.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.