Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended
HP 450 Programmable Wireless Keyboard
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

I want to be able to use the numeric keypad as a cursor navigation keypad. Every keyboard I have ever owned has a NUM LOCK which allows me to do that. This keyboard doesn't. Nor is there an option to programme any of the keys with a NUM LOCK function. Is it possible to find a way to do this? It would be so convenient. 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

@Cherns1 wrote:

There is no NUM LOCK button on this keyboard.

uh yeah, i saw it..
what I meant is that a keyboard with NUM LOCK, all those I tested, have arrows in addition to numbers
which is not the case with this one either.
so it may not be possible to change that, especially if failure with three software, it may be complicated to find one that would allow you to do it, so test a few, for maybe nothing better
Personally, either I would change the keyboard, or I wouldn't use this possibility.
Easy indeed for me, because I do not use these functions, I do not find it practical on the pad!

--------------------------------------------- Signature ---------------------------------------------
was this reply helpful , or just say thank you ? Click on the yes button

Please remember to mark the answers this can help other users
please click on the accept as solution button if message provided an answer to the problem

Desktop-Knowledge-Base
Windows 11 22h2 inside , user

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6
HP Recommended

hi

https://www.howtogeek.com/howto/windows-vista/map-any-key-to-any-key-on-windows-xp-vista/

you can try software as shown here

--------------------------------------------- Signature ---------------------------------------------

please click on the accept as solution button if message provided an answer to the problem

Desktop-Knowledge-Base

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
HP Recommended

Hi. I tried both SharpKeys AND PowerToys to reassign a few different keys to a NUM LOCK. None of them worked with this keyboard. I know I could probably reassign all the number keys themselves to the cursor commands, but that seems much too permanent. I appreciate your replying to this message, but unfortunately it didn't seem to work. Thank you anyway. Perhaps someone else has a solution? It seems so silly that on this otherwise wonderful keyboard HP wouldn't include a NUM LOCK key.

HP Recommended

hi

https://www.hp.com/us-en/shop/pdp/hp-450-programmable-wireless-keyboard

either it is a problem of use of the software, compared to the specific model, or it will not be possible at all..
I used the first successfully, in order to deactivate a key which remained in function, not practical
problem there I can not test since not at all the same model
if it is the one in link, I see an FN key, I doubt it, but have you tried ..
from what I see, the only difference at this level of the keyboard, seems to be just the missing VER NUM key, but you don't see the arrows like on mine, either!
, wait a second, as I write, I'm looking at the picture again
and what is the padlock at the top right for?

Desktop-Knowledge-Base

HP Recommended

The padlock is ScreenLock, which brings you back to your locked screen. There is no NUM LOCK button on this keyboard.

HP Recommended

@Cherns1 wrote:

There is no NUM LOCK button on this keyboard.

uh yeah, i saw it..
what I meant is that a keyboard with NUM LOCK, all those I tested, have arrows in addition to numbers
which is not the case with this one either.
so it may not be possible to change that, especially if failure with three software, it may be complicated to find one that would allow you to do it, so test a few, for maybe nothing better
Personally, either I would change the keyboard, or I wouldn't use this possibility.
Easy indeed for me, because I do not use these functions, I do not find it practical on the pad!

Desktop-Knowledge-Base

HP Recommended

I thank Promethee (pardon the lack of accents) for his suggestions. Because this keyboard does not have a NUM LOCK button, it evidently also doesn't have a NUM LOCK function, so remapping one key didn't work. But his suggestion that I use PowerToys remapper has allowed me to remap my number keys individually to give the equivalent of NUM LOCK. Although this does not allow me to switch between the "calculator" function and the "navigator" function, I realized that I have hardly ever used my number keys for calculating -- I almost always use the number keys on top of the letter keys anyway. So I have remapped all my keys and that has solved the problem. So I have accepted Promethee's solution as the best under the circumstances.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.