Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended
HP 5-Button Optical mouse
Microsoft Windows 7 (64-bit)

Hi,

I recently bought a new HP 5-Button Optical Comfort Mouse. I want to configure the functions of the side buttons so  I downloaded the driver from hp.com and installed it. The problem is that there is only a list of function I can choose from. Is it possible to set those buttons as other keyboard buttons like for example "Esc"? The list contains almost all other keyboard buttons - Tab, Enter, Home, End etc. but no Esc. Can I still set it somehow?

3 REPLIES 3
HP Recommended

Greetings @Sta_I

Welcome to HP Forums and Thanks for the post. 

I understand you are looking to configure the buttons on the mouse for functions which are not listed in the mouse software, is that right?

Kudos to you for trying to troubleshoot the issue on your own.

Not to worry, I will be glad to assist you. 

The options are limited to the functions listed in the mouse software, you will not be able to use the buttons for options that are not on the list. 

However, you can customize the buttons differently using the settings on individual softwares (like game settings)

Hope this helped. Please do post your technical queries on our Forums for assistance. 

Chimney_83
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Hi @Chimney_83,

Thank you for the answer! I'm afraid it is not possible to customize the button function in the way you suggested for the software I am using. I really find it strange that the options are so limitted and to be honest I already regret buying this mouse. Hopefully I can find a different driver or there will be a better update for it in the future.

HP Recommended

Thanks for the reply, keep checking for updates on www.hp.com/drivers for new drivers. 

Hope this helped. 

Chimney_83
I am an HP Employee

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.