Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Any failures related to Hotkey UWP service? Click here for tips.
HP Recommended

@SpaciaSystems wrote:

That is awesome! So glad you got it working, and really appreciate you posting your results here. I do apologies for the radio silence, I just haven't had the time to weigh in on the conversation. I will be taking your advice on the power supply and uefi settings, and hopefully get the quadro working too! Just need to find the time to do it!

Mine came without a heatsink too, but I ordered an original one from HP, i think i mentioned it in a post before. Was worth the money getting a good quality product, but stuff the stock thermal compound, get some thermal grizzly!

These Quadros will make all the difference when using Adobe or CAD software, or least for my kids anyway. Not letting them use my perfectly tuned up z800!

I was very lucky when purchasing the quadro M2000M MXM card, I made an offer and managed to get them for £90 each, maybe things were a little less expensive in the UK. But prices seem to have shot up recently. Not worth spending $200+ for sure, for an older architecture product.

I would love to get an M2000 for that price! That's about $120 US; they're currently selling for $275 unless you want to risk international shipping!

HP Recommended

@NevynPA wrote:

@SpaciaSystems wrote:

That is awesome! So glad you got it working, and really appreciate you posting your results here. I do apologies for the radio silence, I just haven't had the time to weigh in on the conversation. I will be taking your advice on the power supply and uefi settings, and hopefully get the quadro working too! Just need to find the time to do it!

Mine came without a heatsink too, but I ordered an original one from HP, i think i mentioned it in a post before. Was worth the money getting a good quality product, but stuff the stock thermal compound, get some thermal grizzly!

These Quadros will make all the difference when using Adobe or CAD software, or least for my kids anyway. Not letting them use my perfectly tuned up z800!

I was very lucky when purchasing the quadro M2000M MXM card, I made an offer and managed to get them for £90 each, maybe things were a little less expensive in the UK. But prices seem to have shot up recently. Not worth spending $200+ for sure, for an older architecture product.

I would love to get an M2000 for that price! That's about $120 US; they're currently selling for $275 unless you want to risk international shipping!

I ended up going with a FirePro M5100. They're about the same as a Quadro M1000M for one third the cost. Also, they can be vBIOS flashed and unlocked for overclocking and become an 8870m/R9 270x/290x. I picked one up for $45 USD. I will be modifying a CPU cooler to fit the card and switching out the standard power brick for an official HP 230W brick I got (used) for $18 USD.

HP Recommended

Hi, I dont suppose you could give me a summary on how to get the graphics card working on this machine? What parts you got, what I need to do, best you can remember? Thanks

HP Recommended

Hi NevynPA, I saw your project with FirePro M5100 on Reddit... It works like charm? I would like to know if your card is pulled out from a Dell system or is a genuine HP, because I didn't found any original HP M5100 card (at a reasonable price!!) but only "AMD FIREPRO M5100 For Dell M4600 M4700 M4800" like showed in belowed picture:  (Note: "RED" PCB like yours, instead HP original "BLUE" PCB). I have another question: Do you tink that Original HP Heatsink MXM is too inadequate for this card? Thanks.1_For-Dell-Precision-M4600-M4700-M4800-2GB-AMD-FirePro-M5100-DDR5-Video-Card-05FXT3-216-0846000.jpg

HP Recommended

@anitawee wrote:

Hi, I dont suppose you could give me a summary on how to get the graphics card working on this machine? What parts you got, what I need to do, best you can remember? Thanks

@jenaplissken67 wrote:

Hi NevynPA, I saw your project with FirePro M5100 on Reddit... It works like charm? I would like to know if your card is pulled out from a Dell system or is a genuine HP, because I didn't found any original HP M5100 card (at a reasonable price!!) but only "AMD FIREPRO M5100 For Dell M4600 M4700 M4800" like showed in belowed picture:  (Note: "RED" PCB like yours, instead HP original "BLUE" PCB). I have another question: Do you tink that Original HP Heatsink MXM is too inadequate for this card? Thanks.

You will need an HP power supply, 180W or better (I found a deal on a 230W):

• 180W Part Number: 600082-001
  • 230W Part Number: 609946-001

You will also need your own method of cooling.

• The tiny heatsink from the 5450 cards (often on ebay for $10 or less) is NOT big enough
  • The slightly larger heatsink from the 7650a cards (much more rare; $15-$25) is NOT big enough

The hole spacing for the mounting bracket is 46x46mm; screws are M2 thread. length of screw will vary based on your cooler thickness, but at least M2x8 for sure. If you get screws too long they'll touch the motherboard, short-circuit, and blow the board - so make sure they're okay! If they are too long, you can try and cut with a dremel, sand them shorter, or just order shorter ones.

I've got a 50x50mm Aluminium plate that is 3mm thick as a base, and an all-copper low-profile socket 370 heatsink attached to the plate. It's the wrong way round, really (should have the copper next to the GPU), but the copper cooler alone wasn't enough to keep me happy.

I have mine OC'ed from 725 MHz core, 1100 MHz memory to 900 MHz core, 1400 MHz memory. Long-run gaming or benchmark tests will max out at about 76 C on the M5100 card. The fan I have on it I have attached to the SATA power lines (5V) because it is LOUD when running at the 12V it is designed for (remember, it was designed as a server CPU cooler fan).

The only way to get power is to piggyback the wires on the case fan (12V) or the SATA connector (5V).

As far as making/getting your own heatsink for the M5100, I used this site for some help:

https://www.katsbits.com/smforum/index.php?topic=981.0

Also, in writing this reply I found this:

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/Free-Shipping-EFB0612HHA-DC12V-0-25A-VGA-Cooler-For-NVIDIA-MXM-MXM2-...

It is sold out and I haven't found it for sale anywhere else yet, but the hole spacing is 46x46mm just like we need. You would also need some thermal padding to put over the RAM and VRM chips on the card.

As far as getting the card working, I put it in, screwed it down, and installed the AMD drivers. That's it! No whitelisting, no driver modding, nothing weird like that for BASIC use. I wanted to overclock, so I did end up re-flashing the vBIOS on the card and using Sapphire TRIXX to overclock. Not necessary unless you are looking for ultimate possible performance.

@jenaplissken67 - I have a second M5100 I would be willing to make a heatsink for and sell/send you - just send me a private message here or on Reddit.

HP Recommended

Hey I decided to buy to get the  m2000m, was the best value chip I could find. I feel like Im almost at the finishing line but not quite to getting this thing working. So I got a 230W and switched the BIOS to UEFI mode. The card shows up on the device manager as working and the GPU program I installed shows all the readings about it. I managed to get the beeping to stop somehow by tweaking things on the BIOS. I enabled PCI VGA Palette Snooping under Bus options - no idea what that does, and on the Option ROM LAunch Policy I switched all of them to UEFI from Legacy (only because it says UEFI). However I still cant access the BIOS when the card is installed and I cant use the card for a rendering test. 

On device options in the BIOS the option to disable integrated graphics is faded so wont let me do that.  I tried disabling the integrated graphics on device manager but that just turns off the screen.  Im really starting to come to the point where I dont have many things to try now. Please help. 

HP Recommended

@anitawee wrote:

Hey I decided to buy to get the  m2000m, was the best value chip I could find. I feel like Im almost at the finishing line but not quite to getting this thing working. So I got a 230W and switched the BIOS to UEFI mode. The card shows up on the device manager as working and the GPU program I installed shows all the readings about it. I managed to get the beeping to stop somehow by tweaking things on the BIOS. I enabled PCI VGA Palette Snooping under Bus options - no idea what that does, and on the Option ROM LAunch Policy I switched all of them to UEFI from Legacy (only because it says UEFI). However I still cant access the BIOS when the card is installed and I cant use the card for a rendering test. 

On device options in the BIOS the option to disable integrated graphics is faded so wont let me do that.  I tried disabling the integrated graphics on device manager but that just turns off the screen.  Im really starting to come to the point where I dont have many things to try now. Please help. 

What are you using to cool the card? The M2000M will need more than a basic heatsink. That could be part of your issues.

I would use the clear CMOS button on the motherboard to reset the BIOS to defaults. Leave integrated video enabled, and palette snooping DISABLED.

What port are you using for your monitor with the card installed? If you have the card in, you won't see the BIOS using the VGA connector (blue). You'll need a DisplayPort cable or adapter (I use a DP to HDMI adapter).

Who is the original manufacturer of your card/What system did it come from?

HP Recommended

Hey Nevypn, I'm using the heatsink that I ordered from HP for the USDt. Im getting readings of about 34 degrees on the card.  It looks pretty adeqate ( nothing bigger could fit in the case and its sat right next the fan.)card.JPG

Reset the COMOS, and the beeping is back. I was using both a DP and a VGA for dual monitors, just tried it without the VGA and no luck. I also use a HDMI to DP.

The details on the card from Ebay:

• Model: nVidia Quadro M2000M
  • Slot Type: MXM 3.1 Type A
  • RAM: 4GB GDDR5
  • Part Numbers: 828639-001 / 828092-001 / N16P-Q3-A2
  • Compatible with: HP zBook G3 Series. Should fit other workstation laptops with an MXM 3.1 slot, but may require the heatsink mounting backplate to be swapped.

Also I feel like it isnt a case of not seeing the BIOS, it just isnt letting me enter it - though i will check this over again.

I hope you have more ideas. Thanks

HP Recommended

@anitawee wrote:

Hey Nevypn, I'm using the heatsink that I ordered from HP for the USDt. Im getting readings of about 34 degrees on the card.  It looks pretty adeqate ( nothing bigger could fit in the case and its sat right next the fan.)card.JPG

Reset the COMOS, and the beeping is back. I was using both a DP and a VGA for dual monitors, just tried it without the VGA and no luck. I also use a HDMI to DP.

The details on the card from Ebay:

• Model: nVidia Quadro M2000M
  • Slot Type: MXM 3.1 Type A
  • RAM: 4GB GDDR5
  • Part Numbers: 828639-001 / 828092-001 / N16P-Q3-A2
  • Compatible with: HP zBook G3 Series. Should fit other workstation laptops with an MXM 3.1 slot, but may require the heatsink mounting backplate to be swapped.

I hope you have more ideas. Thanks

I'm guessing that's the 'idle' temp of the card - watch it under load and see how high it gets; that cooler was designed for the 7650A card which is 35 Watts; the M2000M is 55 Watts.

That card will need UEFI mode for add-in boards set (not legacy) as far as I know, but I don't have the resources to pick one up and test (thus my purchase of a FirePro M5100 - $35 vs $200).

It's possible that the card's vBIOS (the BIOS/UEFI on the card itself that identifies to the motherboard) is in LVDS mode, and would need re-flashed to eDP (for embedded DisplayPort) - I don't really know.

Can you post a screenshot of GPU-Z of the M2000M?

HP Recommended

So i only have to change the Video ROM launch to UEFI in the advanced setting on BIOS to turn the 29 beeps off, but it still takes longer than it should and I cant access the BIOS. I am starting to wonder if it is a display issue as the card seems to replace the microsoft basic display adaptor and give no output.  Ive tried a couple of benchmark tests and they will only use the intergrated gpu at 100%. Also the Nvidia control panel has like almost no options in the list panel, so theres noting I can do with it. 

GPU-Z screenshots below. gpu.png

Again thankyou. 

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.