Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended
8000 Elite SFF
Microsoft Windows 7 (64-bit)

Hi,

I have an HP-Compaq 8000 Elite SFF computer and I have been trying to upgrade its ram (2x1 gb) for a while now. I tried several different rams, but none of them worked. The problem was always that the computer would recognize the correct amount of ram, but when windows was about to start up, it would just flash blue screen and reboot.

Last week I manged to find two used modules that were identical to the original ones and was hoping that they would finally work. However, when I tried to install them, I quickly found out that the computer wouldn't simply accept more than two modules at a time. Both the original modules and the ones I had bought worked if they were placed in slots 1&3 or 1&4. All the modules worked also when installed individually in slot 1. Mixing the modules (i.e. one original & one bought) worked also fine as long as there were only two modules installed. As soon as I added a third module in any of the slots, windows didn't start up anymore. No four-module-configuration worked either. 

So now I'm really confused and I don't know what to do. The motherboard and the OS (win 7 ultimate) should allow for more than 2 gb of ram, which has left me wondering if my motherboard is faulty in some way? Or is there some specific procedure or sequence I should follow when adding ram to my computer? Any advice or tips will be highly appreciated 🙂

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

You're very welcome.

Unfortunately, I don't know what those stop codes mean.

I just know that your PC should be working OK with the memory you have.

A replacement motherboard would be cheap nowadays.

I bought a used but tested one on eBay this past summer for my 8200 Elite CMT, and paid around $25 for it delivered.

They seem to be even cheaper than that for the 8000 Elite SFF's.

http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_from=R40&_sacat=0&_nkw=8000+elite+sff+motherboard&_sop=15

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
HP Recommended

Hi:

Yes I would say the motherboard has an issue of some kind.

I have an 8000 Elite CMT and it is happily runing 16 GB (4 x 4 GB) of PC3-10600 memory.

The SFF will also run up to 16 GB of memory.

This is the actual memory I bought.

https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820220480

I will say that it is very hard to find the right memory for the 8000 and 8100 Elite PC's.

It has to be low density, otherwise it won't work.

But since you found identical memory modules as the ones your PC came with, then they should have all worked.

Did you try clearing the CMOS?  If not, you may want to give that a try.

To clear the CMOS, shut down the PC.

Remove everything connected to it.  Power cord, mouse, monitor, keyboard...everything.

Press the power button to drain any residual current from the motherboard.

Open the case and find the little yellow clear CMOS button.

It is normally located near the coin cell battery.

Press and hold that little button down for about 15 seconds.

Then hook everything back up again.

HP Recommended

Hello and thanks for the quick reply!

I tried that CMOS clearing thing, but unfortunately it didn't work. Guess I have to start looking for a new machine if I want to get more performance. Or is there a (simple) way to find out what might be wrong with my motherboard?

I managed to take a picture (below) of the blue screen that flashes very breifly before the computer reboots. I don't know if it tells you anything, but I thought I would post it here anyways 🙂 The colors are a bit funky, because of the slow shutter speed I had to use 🙂

WP_20170404_23_00_10_Pro.jpg

HP Recommended

You're very welcome.

Unfortunately, I don't know what those stop codes mean.

I just know that your PC should be working OK with the memory you have.

A replacement motherboard would be cheap nowadays.

I bought a used but tested one on eBay this past summer for my 8200 Elite CMT, and paid around $25 for it delivered.

They seem to be even cheaper than that for the 8000 Elite SFF's.

http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_from=R40&_sacat=0&_nkw=8000+elite+sff+motherboard&_sop=15

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.