Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended
HP Compaq 4000 Pro
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

I just have a question.. I couldn't find the mobo specs online to see what the PCIe would support, like storage, so I bought an adapter for an M.2 ssd (NVMe), a cheap toshiba xg5, and plugged it into the slot expecting a pretty decent challenge only for my desktop to become SUPER laggy.... to the point to not even being able to move the mouse cursor... terrible! I figured it was just a pretty decent conflict.  Well i noticed that on the backside of the adapter,  the 2 solder points securing the SATA plug (since the card also supports M.2 SATA as well as NVMe) must have gotten so hot in such a short amount of time that it slightly burned them and there was white stuff around the 2 solder points. I'm assuming it's from thick white smoke coming off them for a quick second...  but why would a disconnected SATA plug have heated up that much like that?  I had an M.2 drive in the PCIe slot but nothing in the SATA slot on the adapter. I just don't get why only those 2 solder points would have gotten SSI hot. I only had it plugged into the PCIe slot for a few minutes.  Any help would be greatly appreciated and thank you in advance! 

1 REPLY 1
HP Recommended

@SLEhrgott,

Does the HP 4000 Pro (is it an SFF) still works after the melt-down?

Please name all components you bought by manufacturer name.

Which slot did you plug this adapter for an M.2 ssd (NVMe) ?

What "disconnected SATA plug heated up ? Was it part of the adapter card? 

You do realize that unit is 11 years old

This system is feedback driven thru Solution and Kudo flags. It's the only means of knowing if you have been served. Please click Accept as Solution, if your problem is solved. To say THANK YOU, press the "thumbs up symbol" to render a KUDO. You can render both Solution and KUDO..

HP Envy 8 5010 Tablet
(2) HP DV7t i7 3160QM 2.3Ghz 8GB
Printer -- HP OfficeJet Pro 8620 Legal
Custom Asus Z97D, I7-4790k, 16GB RAM, WIN10 Pro 64bit, ZOTAC GTX1080 AMP Extreme 3 fan 8GB RAM, 500GB SSD, Asus PB287 4k monitor, Rosewill Blackhawk case and 750W OCZ PSU.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.