Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended
HP Compaq 8200 Elite MicroTowe
Microsoft Windows 7 (64-bit)

Hi,

I would like to upgrade RAM memory for my desktop.

Currently installed 

Memory Slot 1: 4GB DIMM Micron 1333MHz

Memory Slot 2: 4GB DIMM Micron 1333MHz

Should be free : Slot 3 and Slot 4

Maintenance and Service Guide mentions: "DIMMs The memory sockets on the system board can be populated with up to four industry-standard DIMMs. These memory sockets are populated with at least one preinstalled DIMM. To achieve the maximum memory support, you can populate the system board with up to 16-GB of memory configured in a high-performing dual channel mode."

However a memory scan on the internet provides maximum memory 32 GB. Is this correct and can I add eg 2 x 8 GB or is 2x 4GB the maximum ?

Thanks for your assistance!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Hi:

I have two 8200 Elite CMT's both running 32 GB of memory.

I bought 4 sticks of this memory if you are interested in doing the same...though I only paid $29.99 a stick for it a few months ago...

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0075U12H8/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o03_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7
HP Recommended

Hi:

I have two 8200 Elite CMT's both running 32 GB of memory.

I bought 4 sticks of this memory if you are interested in doing the same...though I only paid $29.99 a stick for it a few months ago...

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0075U12H8/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o03_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

HP Recommended

I've added the memory sticks, bought at the Amazon link in your reply; but, my system doesn't seem to recognize the additional memory.
I've looked into SET UP figuring a BIOS setting needed to be changed; but, I can't find anything even remotely related to RAM.

Any thoughts?

Thanks in advance.

HP Recommended

Hi:

Unfortunately, I wouldn't know why the memory isn't being recognized.

The PC should automatically recognize the memory.

There are no BIOS settings that need to be changed to add or recognize the additional memory.

I added this memory to two 8200 Elite CMT's and it worked with no problems.

You may want to remove the new memory modules and make sure you firmly reseat them when you install them again.

I have added memory sometimes and when the PC doesn't pick it up, it was only because I thought I had installed it right but found out that I didn't make sure that the memory was really down snug in the socket.

The memory retainers should fully click back into place.

If you have to 'help' the retaining clips get back to the locked position, there is a good chance the memory is not fully seated in the socket.

HP Recommended

Hi again;

As I said in my previous reply, I bought two of the DIMMs from the link in your earlier message.  No luck; so, I tried an experiment.  I removed the DIMMs that came with the machine, and replaced them with the DIMMs I bought [via your link] from the same Amazon seller.  The system booted w/o a problem; so, it's not a DIMM problem.

Still running at 16g, I concluded that there was incompatibility between the DIMMs that came with my system and the new DIMMS; so, I bought 2 additional DIMMs [from the same link in your previous reply].  They arrived yesterday. I tried with 4 8g DIMMs from the same source. Guess what?  System won't boot.

At the moment, I've got the two original DIMMs, 4 DIMMs from your recommended supplier, and an assortment of supposedly compatabile DIMMs from other sources.  LOL, I've got a DIMM store.  :>)

I've never seen this before. I'm trying to find out who manufactured the mother board; maybe they have an answer.  In the meantime, do you have any other suggestions, thoughts, ideas? 

Thanks in advance.

HP Recommended

That is really bizarre.  I have never come across that issue either.

Unfortunately, I don't know who makes the motherboard for the PC.

When I run the hwinfo utility on my PC, the motherboard description on mine is a Hewlett Packard 1494, which is of no help.

Unfortunately, I have no clue what the issue could be.

As I wrote the other day, I have two 8200 Elite CMT's running with that memory and it worked the first time I installed the modules without incident.

I just don't know at what point you want to quit throwing money at it and walk away.

The only other thing I can think of that you could do, would be to replace the motherboard, and see if that resolves the problem.

I had to replace the MB on one of my 8200 Elites.  Something went wrong with the video slot and the PC quit working altogether.

You can find them in used but tested and working condition on eBay for cheap.  I think I paid $25 for mine.

Check the support page for your model and get the part number of the motherboard.  Should be listed in the parts and service map.

https://support.hp.com/us-en/product/hp-compaq-8200-elite-microtower-pc/5037940/model/5037942/manual...

HP Recommended

Thanks for your quick reply.

As for the DIMMs, I'll see if they can be returned.  If not, I'll try to recoup some of my money on eBay.

My last check will be to take the skin off again; and, see if I can find out who makes the mother board.  I'll call/Email/Text them; and, see what happens.

I won't replace the mother board; I'm working with a manufacturer's refurb that I bought from Tiger Direct.  [BTW, I've had very good luck with them in the past] 

Tiger Direct may take it back for a replacement, who knows; I can restore it to "factory settings" ~ I've got a thum drive with a system restore onit.  Now it has Win Server 2014 and SQL Server on it.

Thanks again for your help and suggestions.

HP Recommended

Anytime.

Sorry that I wasn't able to help you get the memory to work in your PC.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.