Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Any failures related to Hotkey UWP service? Click here for tips.
HP Recommended
DC7900 SFF
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)
I have seen two other posts on this forum about this problem with zero responses. I purchased an HP dc7900 SFF and it is on BIOS 1.08. I have tried every available method to update the BIOS, and I have tried every available BIOS version. When I try the flash method located in the Setup menu, it goes to 104% and freezes. I cna leave it there for hours and nothing happens. Restarting the PC reveals that the firmware was not updated. I was successful in update the ME firmware but this made no difference. I cant update to 1.16, 1.23, or 1.27. I reset the ME password and unprovisioned from AMT to see if the firmware update restrictions may have been causing problems. This made no difference. If I try updating using the windows HPQupdate app or whatever it’s called, it gets to 1024/1024 and freezes, using all my available cpu, and it still doesn’t work.

This Dutch website documents my exact problem, with photos.
http://domoticx.com/desktop-hp-dc7900-small-form-factor-pc/
11 REPLIES 11
HP Recommended

Hi:

I happen to have a dc7900 SFF PC running W10, and had no issues whatsoever updating the BIOS to the latest version (v01.27) on the support page.

Here is what I did...

Disconnect anything connnected to the PC except the KB mouse and monitor.

Got a USB flash drive and formatted it with the FAT 32 file system. 

It is important that you do that first and that you format it in FAT 32 not NTFS.

Downloaded and ran sp73584.

The information page opens.

I use the F10 BIOS setup flashing method.

Click on the View Contents of DOS flash folder.

Copied the file contents of that folder to the FAT 32- formatted flash drive.

Restarted the PC, Tapped the F10 key to get access to the BIOS.

Selected the File tab>Flash System ROM command.

Selected the USB flash drive, and the PC then 'saw' the BIOS update files on the flash drive.

Followed the on screen instructions to update the BIOS, which took maybe 30 seconds or so.

Restarted the PC and was at v01.27.

If that is exactly what you did, and it didn't work, unfortunately, I have no idea why it didn't.

HP Recommended
You should look at the link I posted, because it shows exactly what I’m dealing with. Yes I did exactly what you’re describing, multiple times, with every version of the firmware I can find. Did you start on version 1.08 or which version did you start on?
HP Recommended

I don't recall what version it had in the beginning.

I think it was the original BIOS (v1.08).

I use the above method for flashing all of my HP business desktop PC's.

I have never encountered an issue doing it that way.

You tried a different flash drive?

You tried a CD instead of a flash drive?

You disconnected all peripherals attached to the PC, except the Keyboard, Mouse and Monitor?

You're lucky the windows based flash didn't wreck your PC since it was running W10.

The windows based flash was only supported up to W7.

HP Recommended
I have tried three different flash drives. I have not tried the CD method yet. I guess I can try installing windows 7. Yes everything is disconnected.
HP Recommended

The only thing I can think of that I did differently, was that I did not update the Intel Management Engine Firmware.

There are several posts on this forum, and the now defunct business PC support forum where folks have wrecked their PC's when trying to update the IME firmware, so I left that alone.

I also have only updated the BIOS using a PS/2 KB and mouse, ot USB ones.

Is there a specific reason why you need to update the BIOS, or do you just want to have the latest version installed?

HP Recommended
I only updated IME after being unable to update the main firmware. I want the latest firmware because I’m going to be putting in a quad core cpu and a few Intel PCIe Ethernet cards for a pfsense rig. When I put the PCIe Ethernet cards in, the system fails to boot. It shows the HP splash screen but doesn’t continue. I have no idea why. They are brand new cards. Two PCIe 4x 4 port Ethernet cards, and the system won’t boot with either plugged in. I’m hoping a firmware update will help, but I really don’t know.
HP Recommended
I just installed windows 7 on this machine, running update from 1.08 to 1.23 in windows. Same exact issue. CPU pegged out and progress bar 100%, not doing anything.
HP Recommended

Hi:

I have never put a PCIe x1 ethernet adapter in any of my PC's, but I have not heard of one person that ever got one to work on any HP business desktop PC, not just the dc7900--but all dc7xxx and 8x00 Elite models, so it isn't a BIOS update thing.

You can search the forum for this issue, and probably find many posts regarding add on ethernet adapters not working in the dc7xxx and 8x00 Elite models.

For example this one...And no solutions...

https://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Desktops-Archive-Read-Only/8200-Elite-SFF-won-t-start-with-Hp-331T-Eth...

HP Recommended
Where did I say anything about an x1 card? I said x4. These cards are compatible with any x4, x8, or x16 port. Also, explain to me why they wouldn’t work. What is it about this computer that would make them not work? Am I naive to think that if the computer has an x16 port or an x8 port, that an Ethernet card rated to work with PCIe 2.0 x8 should just work? Why do they work just fine in the x16 port of my other computer? If this is some kind of hardware limitation, why isn’t it documented? What are people supposed to do, just buy parts and find out they don’t work by trial and error?
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.