Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended
HP EliteDesk
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

The HP DVD/RW attached to my EliteDesk does not recognise blank media discs.  It sees and operates written discs.  The drive appears on 'Disc management' but won't populate with a blank disc in.  The DVD device does not appear on partition manager.  The device serial number and product number are not recognised by the HP website and the HP device locator does not find it with any disc in.  Its a complete mystery.  Can anyone help?  Thanks.

3 REPLIES 3
HP Recommended

@Mix59 

It is a complete mystery to me that you did not mention the exact model number of the HP, and the OS version.  Microsoft did not incorporate a native burner program. You need to install a burning program.

https://cdburnerxp.se/en/home

This system is feedback driven thru Solution and Kudo flags. It's the only means of knowing if you have been served. Please click Accept as Solution, if your problem is solved. To say THANK YOU, press the "thumbs up symbol" to render a KUDO. You can render both Solution and KUDO..

HP Envy 8 5010 Tablet
(2) HP DV7t i7 3160QM 2.3Ghz 8GB
Printer -- HP OfficeJet Pro 8620 Legal
Custom Asus Z97D, I7-4790k, 16GB RAM, WIN10 Pro 64bit, ZOTAC GTX1080 AMP Extreme 3 fan 8GB RAM, 500GB SSD, Asus PB287 4k monitor, Rosewill Blackhawk case and 750W OCZ PSU.
HP Recommended

OK. its a Hp PLDS DVDRW DU8AESH. Win10.   Burning progs don't see blank media in the unit.  A BIOS test read/write has passed so in BIOS its ok. Its a complete mystery to HP and the engineer has had to escalate it to a higher level.  So it could be an even bigger mystery.  Now is the chance for someone to suggest a solution before HP do.

HP Recommended

@Mix59,

What brand of DVD+R media are you using?  I have had success with HP branded and Verbatim brand. The Verbatim is manufactured by Mitsubishi , coded MCC 004-00.(top of the line).    Verbatim manufactured by Ritek F16-01 media is also excellent.

The software I would use, VSO Inspector

If not successful, I would go to Device Manager and remove the driver.  Re-boot from a cold start, and let the system pickup the hardware.

This system is feedback driven thru Solution and Kudo flags. It's the only means of knowing if you have been served. Please click Accept as Solution, if your problem is solved. To say THANK YOU, press the "thumbs up symbol" to render a KUDO. You can render both Solution and KUDO..

HP Envy 8 5010 Tablet
(2) HP DV7t i7 3160QM 2.3Ghz 8GB
Printer -- HP OfficeJet Pro 8620 Legal
Custom Asus Z97D, I7-4790k, 16GB RAM, WIN10 Pro 64bit, ZOTAC GTX1080 AMP Extreme 3 fan 8GB RAM, 500GB SSD, Asus PB287 4k monitor, Rosewill Blackhawk case and 750W OCZ PSU.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.